Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ballistics chart

Old 06-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
I'll raise my hand on this one but I know one thing programs are only as good as the scope that sits on top of the rifle. I may not have the right equipment yet but if I can do it with Mil Dots I can't wait to dial one in at 1000+ yards. I'll have it soon but not soon enough is all I can say. Thanks for the exbal info Ridge looking into it.
Black,
I'm assuming NF bought exbal from perry systems, can't find exbal on the net anywhere anymore, but they are the same program.
RR
Old 06-18-2014, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Black,
I'm assuming NF bought exbal from perry systems, can't find exbal on the net anywhere anymore, but they are the same program.
RR
When I was looking for a program, I'd settled on exbal, but couldn't find it available anywhere for sale. NF was starting to advertise its version, but didn't have adequate ordering information. That was fall of 2011 maybe? It was pretty clear at that point that Perry had sold it to NF or was in the process of doing so.

Due to exbal being unobtainium at the time, I went with LB3 from Patagonia Ballistics, which is now called "Coldbore", I believe. It's been okay, some features are a little clunky to get working (i.e. pairing to a NV4500). Manipulating some of the information with data originating from my rifle, I put together a chart that I keep in my dope book That chart gets used a lot. The PDA/Mobile version, not so much.

Too many battery-powered gadgets makes one a distracted shooter.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:14 AM
Typical Buck

I never missed a shot on a military range @ 500 yards with open sights, so I will put my two cents in. The Marines used to use something called a "Dope sheet" to adjust their sights. The elevation AND windage changed at different distances. A bullet has it's own "Whip", or side movement. I don't see how a generic program can predict this. You can take 3 different brands of ammo and get a LOT of side movement on point of impact. Just my thoughts, may not be what the original poster was referring to.