Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

338/06 vs 35Whelen?

Old 05-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default 338/06 vs 35Whelen?

Ok so I have had a pristine (78 model) 700 BDL 30/06 sittin around that I haven't touched in a decade. (It's my 2nd 30/06, the other is the first big game rifle I ever got as a teen in the mid 80s, it's an ADL that's been worked, reworked and worked some more but man is it a shooter and I usually carry it out once-twice a season for "old times" sake.) I'm sure if I DON'T do something with this rifle it will continue to sit untouched in the safe (it's a lefthand, I shoot lefthanded so none of my sons or buds can use it) so I'm SURE I want to do something like a simple rebore rather than something like a major overhaul/rebarrel etc...

I thought I was sold on the 35W but then the more I "study" the 338/06 the more I think, "Hmmmm at least on paper it sure seems mighty danged nice!" I realize ammo choices are scant but that doesn't really matter to me as I can reload as well as have plenty of other rifles around so it's not a primary rifle that would require several boxes of ammo per year. (I only ask about the 338-06 or 35W, not really looking for recs on other calibers but thanks anyway. I have other game rifles in the following calibers: 22/250, 243(2), 270, 7-08, 280, 7Rmag(2), 30-30, 30/06(2), 300Wby, 308LazzWarbird, 35Rem, 45-70(2) and a couple of 50cal smokepoles) I'm not looking to take down griz or cape buffs from another zip code, I'll mainly/exclusively use it on my big bodied swamp bucks here at home. I just like something different, something that is at home from 5yds in the cypress too 350yds down the pasture. Something that carrys well, hits hard, penetrates "end to end" and yet pulling the trigger isn't akin to preparing for a thermo-nuclear detonation! (I have hearing damage in my right ear from a GameEar that wasn't in properly while my muzzle braked Warbird SHATTERED the stillness across the countryside one morning several years ago! )

What say da court?
HL
Old 05-31-2014, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 great choices for the intended purpose, I would lean 338/06 just because of better available bullet selections over the 35W.
RR
Old 05-31-2014, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

.338 with a bullet weighing around 200 gr would be my choice. I know the 35 Whelen has a small but very loyal and vocal fan club, but the 338 makes more sense to me.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

I'd go with the 35 Whelen. I have one and love it. The factory ammo is getting easier to find and the round is again becoming popular. I noticed this with some states allowing the use of single shot big bores during muzzle loader season. My buddy bought one after he shot mine. I like the 200 grain hornady and 180 grain barnes in my ruger. I do plan to load some 225 accubonds in the near future. Good luck with your choice.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

338/06 Bullet selection is much better. It hits hard and reaches well.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would take a long hard look at the 9.3x62 Mauser. It has been very popular in both Europe and Africa for over 100 years. 9.3mm equates to .366 caliber and you can get bullets up to 320 grs with it. I got one a few years ago and after using it I have found I am leaving both my 350 Rem Mag (ballistically identical to the Whelen) and my 375 H&H in the safe. It is a great cartridge with a long history in the game fields.