Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Just Wounder what you all think about the .270

Old 10-05-2003, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just Wounder what you all think about the .270

The 270 is a great deer cartridge but not for the brush.You would be much better off going with a bigger bullet. Like suggested a 308 ,30-06 or 45-70 plus there are several other good choices. A short barrel gun would work to your advantage.For open shots a 270 would be as great choice.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 10-05-2003, 11:19 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-05-2003, 11:19 AM
XTP

For hunting thick cover where shots will be under 100 yards,virtually any big game cartridge will work on deer.We could sit here forever and argue which cartridge is the best and still never have an answer.I own a .270 and have killed deer with a single shot from 15 yards out to around 200 yards.More important is rifle selection.
A short,fast handling rifle with open sights or low powered optics will suit the need better than any open country rig.Find a rifle that you like,in a caliber(yes even a .270!!),use heavy-for-caliber bullets and go huntin' !!!

What I can' t understand is why so many people here think the .270 is either no good for deer or is only for long range?? If it is not powerful enough at 50 yards...how can it kill a deer at 250 yards?? If it is just not enough gun for deer at all....why is the 30-06 one of the best?...(for those that don' t know,the 270 is a 30-06 necked down slightly!).
Lets see...a 25-06 for deer
a 30-06 for moose
a .270 for....gophers???
..come on people,the .270 can and will kill any deer that walks the face of this planet.In the hands of someone who can shoot straight,it will hold its own on elk and moose as well.People in these parts have been takin moose for years and they don' t use any fancy magnums to do it.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I only use one cartridge for all of my deer hunting and one cartridge for all of my moose and elk hunting reguardless of the conditions.Being totally familiar with a gun,scope and trajectory makes one more consistant than someone that goes from one gun to another.I have seen people lose opportuntites at game because in the excitement the different trajectory,scope, trigger pull or safety location caused problems.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:35 PM

i already have a lever gun a 30-30 and i have used a 30-06 the 06 is a lil heavy to be carryin around if i wanna sit the 06 is nice but i was lookin at gettin a bolt action there will be times when im sittin and times im walkin and i have walked through the thick stuff with a browing semi auto 06 and it jets ruff a few times the 30-30 works for that tho so i am tryin to find an all around gun and the 270 looks like it is lighter then the 06 and my 30-30 is always gonna be my gun of choice it is the one my dad gave me but i also wanted sumthing different and it will have a good scope on it cauze i do sit alot and my eyes arent that great for distance so i need one and also do you think a 270 with a good scope and im a good shot will take down a bear i am tryin for a bear permit if not then i will use the 06 with 180 gr
Old 10-05-2003, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

For hunting thick cover where shots will be under 100 yards,virtually any big game cartridge will work on deer.We could sit here forever and argue which cartridge is the best and still never have an answer.I own a .270 and have killed deer with a single shot from 15 yards out to around 200 yards.More important is rifle selection.
A short,fast handling rifle with open sights or low powered optics will suit the need better than any open country rig.Find a rifle that you like,in a caliber(yes even a .270!!),use heavy-for-caliber bullets and go huntin' !!!

What I can' t understand is why so many people here think the .270 is either no good for deer or is only for long range?? If it is not powerful enough at 50 yards...how can it kill a deer at 250 yards?? If it is just not enough gun for deer at all....why is the 30-06 one of the best?...(for those that don' t know,the 270 is a 30-06 necked down slightly!).
Lets see...a 25-06 for deer
a 30-06 for moose
a .270 for....gophers???
..come on people,the .270 can and will kill any deer that walks the face of this planet.In the hands of someone who can shoot straight,it will hold its own on elk and moose as well.People in these parts have been takin moose for years and they don' t use any fancy magnums to do it.

100% concurr....great post.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I swear by a 270. I wasn' t saying a 270 couldn' t be used in brush. I think a heavier bullet is better suited for brush.The lighter bullet hitting a small twig will most likely deflect the small bullet.I have shot deer using my 270 in brush.Just need to make sure you have a clean unobstructed shot.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 10-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Brush, forest, praries or even another planet if there are deer there, It makes no difference the 270 is one of the maybe five top calibers for deer hunting in the world. If you can shoot it well it is the only rifle you would ever need in North America. This has been proven countless time over by many good hunters. Everyone has thier own choices but there are damn few rifles with the credentials of the 270. As a famous actor once said. NO BRAG JUST FACT. You can put the 30-06 in this same class. I would pick the 30-06 over the 270 only for use on Elk and moose. These animals have fell by the dozens to the 270 but I prefer a little heavier bullet. If I need more plain brute force than that, My 45-70 is sitting over in the corner.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

The lighter bullet hitting a small twig will most likely deflect the small bullet.
There have been several tests that show there is no real advantage to heavier bullets when it comes to deflection. All bullets will deflect. It is always best to wait for an open shot since there is no such cartridge as a " brushbuster" .
Old 10-06-2003, 08:22 AM

The 270 is a fine cartridge for deer! Most appropriate cartridges will kill deer! I havn' t encountered a deer yet that can tell the difference. Fact is a dead deer is a dead deer. The point really comes down to taking a good shot. If a deer is standing in the middle of a thick brush pile it doesn' t matter if you have a 416 rigby or a .223 they will all deflect the question is, is this really a good shot to take? Wait till the deer comes in the open and take a clean shot with the rifle of your choice. If the .270 is what you want go for it. I just made the same purchase about a month ago and will not look back. Make good shooting lanes if Brush is a problem and have fun!

Quick Reply: Just Wounder what you all think about the .270

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.