Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgun question

Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Robs71100
Okay but if I hunt solo with it and a game warden checks me will I be in trouble?
I'm not up to speed on the specific laws in Illinois (trying to remember off the top of my head if that's where you're from?), but yes, in most states if a 13yr old "gets caught" hunting with a handgun without parental, or at least adult, supervision, then they'd be in trouble.

Is 13 even old enough to hunt solo in Illinois? Seems like the law in KS (which is a pretty liberal state about such things) is that you must get a license at age 12, but can't hunt solo until 16, and cannot hunt solo with a handgun until 18. I'd be surprised if communist Illinois allows more lax laws than Kansas.

Simplest solution is to look at your states hunting regulations, call the DNR, and call your local sherriff's office.

Again, I come back to this: how does a 13yr old kid go hunting alone, legally? Can't drive, can't operate ATV's legally, etc etc... I used to ride my bike or ride horseback, but I'm guessing it's not a popular method. And again, it wasn't legal for me to be hunting solo. Never had problems with rangers/P&W enforcement officers, but then again, I knew all of them.

Originally Posted by blaZer_2
the way I see it is if they give me a foid card to legaly own a gun im going to own one... im also 13
To be 100% to the point and blunt about this, the state doesn't care how you see it. The law is the law, and legally, a 13yr old really can't own jack squat, let alone a firearm. They give you a FOID card so you they can control who can handle/possess certain firearms (remember what I said about possession being the most important dictation of "ownership"?), but that doesn't mean you are "legally" able to own one, since you "legally" can't own much of anything. You're not a legal signor for contractual obligations, you're not a legal voter, you're not a legal driver... You're a minor child, the ward of your parents or legal guardians.

Ignoring those laws is really just a great way to get yourself in trouble, and your parents in trouble. Considering that the penalty for firearms violations/crimes in most states involves you NEVER being able to legally own a firearm again, I wouldn't run much risk by testing the waters. Follow the law.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 02-10-2014 at 05:12 PM.