Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me pick a new or used gun

Old 02-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Ruger American or the TC Venture are the "Best Buys" in entry level rifles today IMO !
Old 02-02-2014, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

I have many model 700 and know a lot of people that have 700 and never had a problem with them going off by their selfs. If it's been a problem why has remington never issued a recall on the 700. Also the 222 is a fine round and I like it better then the 223. But is true not as many factory ammo options.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

H&R in a 223 and other barrels can be added later on as needed. They can be had used around $200 or so.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rem 700 an entry level gun?? More like one of the most purchased guns in the history of rifles being sold.

If you want an inexpensive (quality) setup, look at a Rem 700 ADL. You could opt for .243 or .223.... both would give you plenty of reloading options, be fairly inexpensive to load and shoot (and not beat you to pieces)...and the ADL's are solid guns. I've seen a number of them shoot incredibly well (like 1/2 MOA) with factory ammo.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about an 1885 Low Wall in .22-.250 or a Ruger#1 or a Browning B-78? These would be different, top quality and likely very accurate.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a little thinking outside the box:

How about a military mauser in 7x57? Get yourself a headspace guage, know how to check out a used gun, and do some research so you know values of the different countrues.

You can find them for $200-$250. I saw one not long ago for $175.

I understand it's an easy caliber for handloading, though you'd want to verify.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Josmund,

What's your budget? What's your caliber range?

You say you don't want to spend a ton of money, but if you could verify what type of budget you're hoping to stay within it would be easier to guide you to some products.

You say you are interested in a smaller caliber ... but if you could be a little more descriptive of your range of caliber size that you consider to be "smaller" that would help also.

Is "smaller" anything below .284? Below .264? below .257? What is small to your thinking?

If you would also consider (as Father Forkhorn suggests) a military surplus rifle then your options would have to include anything that was "small" enough to satisfy your "smaller" requirement. I'd look into the 6.5 x 55 Swedish rifles. You can still find them on the racks in the stores, though they are getting harder to locate. Father Forkhorn's suggestion of the 7 X 57 option is also a good one, if that is "small" enough for your liking.

Budget? Caliber range? Is Military Surplus a viable option for you?