Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Left handed Whitetail rifle

Old 01-13-2014, 04:49 PM
Spike

Default Left handed Whitetail rifle

I'm a college student looking at buying a lefty rifle. I am currently using my dad's 270 Winchester but it is a right handed rifle and it's pretty bad how I shoot it. I shoot right handed with it but look out of the scope with my left eye.

So I want a left handed rifle to be mine. I'd like it to last a long time.

Bolt action would be preferred as it is the most common I think. I love the 270 but am open to all suggestions.

Savage seems the most popular so I've been looking at them, seem most lefty friendly.

I've been looking at Savage arms trophy hunter 11/111. Would that be a good package? Diffrences between 111 and 110 savage trophy hunter rifle.

What are some advantages for .270,30/06 and the .300 caliber?

Also It may never happen but I've always had a dream of moose hunting. Could this kill a moose. What about a black bear?

Any help is appreciated I want to spend my money wisely but love hunting and trying to learn.

Last edited by kampmanfan4life; 01-13-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Red face

Remington 700 sps left hand.
http://remington.com/products/firear...thetic-lh.aspx
Old 01-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

I would look into the 300 win if you are looking for all-around cartiage. The 270 is a good.round. but with the 300 you can go from deer to moose with ease and not feel under gunned.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

http://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeSta...ded/models.htm
The ruger is a good rifle too. It's a little more money and has a walnut stoke. It comes in a lot more calibers then the remington. I don't like savages have a lot of remington and rugers.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

.270 win is an excellent choice, particularly for the average NA big game hunter.

You can kill coyotes to moose with it (you can always buy another gun if your moose dream comes true), but you will probably mostly use it for deer size game !

Nice flat shooting cartridge, so you can show off at the range too................

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-14-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:26 AM
Typical Buck

I am not saying the 270 cant kill a moose.I know they can but I would like to have something bigger. I have 3 270. I don't have a 300 win but have 2 300 wby.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go 30-06. It'll do anything the .270 can do, only harder. You'll be able to kill anything you can afford to hunt with it. The ammo is cheaper and available enough and doesn't kick you into next week, so practicing is more fun. And in order to get good with it, you will need to practice. I'm a lefty myself. I shot a single shot Browning for years. I now am back to bolt rifles, right-handed of course. But still shoot them south paw
Old 01-14-2014, 04:22 AM
Typical Buck

I'm a big fan of Savage, so I don't think you can go wrong there, but I'm not a fan of any manufacturers package deals, and that includes the 11/111 series. Some come with Nikon scopes, others with Bushnell (I've had a couple bad experiences with lower end Bushnells), and either way, I'd be surprised if the scope from either manufacturer was anything but their bottom line offering. Some don't have accutrigger, which would be a deal-breaker for me. Some also don't have accustock, which I'm not as sure about the value of, but it's supposed to be an improvement. I own an 11FCNS and put an aftermarket quality scope on it and I love the gun. Good luck. If you buy one out of this package series, watch the details closely so you know exactly what you are getting.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

I am also a lefty shooter and have spent the better part of my life hunting with lever guns till the last decade or so when left handed rifles became available. I now have a fairly good selection of left handed rifles in my safe....here's my 2 cents worth...

Remington 700 BDL...they are pretty easily found used for a reasonable price (can be had for $500 all day long if you look)....great rifle that will last you a lifetime and easily found in 270...also in 30-06, 300RUM and 7mm Mag....I have.....4....including a 270 that I have taken piles of deer with over the years (maybe as many a 100)....one of the most accurate rifles I have...only thing I didn't/don't like about it was the factory trigger, but a good gunsmith and $50 will turn that factory trigger into a sweet trigger.

Tikka T3 Lite (Stainless)...mine is in 270 WSM and currnently my goto whitetail gun...I can't say enough good things about this gun...man it's acurate right out of the box, bolt is butter smooth, trigger is very nice and easily adjusted and breaks like glass, detachable magazine...handles and shoots sweet....can be found for probably $650 new i am guessing.

Browning A-Bolt....mines a Madallion and is in 25WSSM. It too is a great gun, handles very nice, detachable mag, easilly adjustable trigger that is nice (not as nice as the Tikka mind you), great ballance...haven't hunted with it yet, but it pnches paper sub-MOA all day as long as I do my job...one in 270 can be found easy enough for under $600 (non-Madallion).

Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP....mine is in 7mm/08....another great cailiber worth considering for whitetail...low recoil, very accurate and advantage of high BC 7mm bullets. Mine has the accu-trigger (very nice, easily adjusted...almost as nice as the Tikka), detachable magazine and is very accurate, light and handles very nice. Can be had new for under $400 if you look...and with the package scope they are closer to $500...and the scope will get you buy for most hunting needs.

Savage 10....mine is a tactical model (FLCP-K) in 308...not really a hunting rifle, but it says volumes about the model 10's....again, very acurate, adjustable triggers, a little more $....500 - 600 for a non-tactical model.

I have others, but those are the 4 left handed guns I would look for...if yer gonna buy a Remington, buy an older used BDL in my opinion...hard to beat that rifle. My 270 and 7mm have both taken tons of animals in several different states and have always served me well. If I were gonna own just one left handed rifle it would be my Rem 700 BDL in 270...but if I was going to buy new, I'd have to say the Tikka has a slight edge over the Savages in my experience....just a slightly better rifle.

Can't go wrong with a 270, it's a great caliber and versitile and is a great whitetail caliber.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

My cousin is left handed he has a couple left hand guns but mist he shoots right handguns.from his left should and works.the bolt with his left hand will holding the rifle with his right hand. No a couple of people who are right handed but left eye dominant and they do the same.thing use a right handgun from the left side.

Last edited by Bbj270; 01-14-2014 at 07:05 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.