Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

cheap shotguns....

Old 01-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default cheap shotguns....

I wanted to know if any of you know of any cheap auto-loading, or double barrel shotguns I have 2 pump actions a .410 and a 20ga. so I want a 12 ga.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:51 AM
Fork Horn

On the used racks Remington 1100s were always a good shotgun for the money. I think about everything is high these days. May look for a ratty looking one in good mechanical shape. Refinish the stock and blue it and you'll be way ahead.

A couple more to look for are the rem 11-48 and savage 775 or browning A5. All are good old shotguns even today. Those are old recoil type shotguns where the barrels slide back to cock the gun and put another one in the chamber. Pretty popular in the 50s and 60s. I still hunt with them and they don't jam, unlike a lot of the 80s and 90s models that came and went.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bugflipper
On the used racks Remington 1100s were always a good shotgun for the money. I think about everything is high these days. May look for a ratty looking one in good mechanical shape. Refinish the stock and blue it and you'll be way ahead.

A couple more to look for are the rem 11-48 and savage 775 or browning A5. All are good old shotguns even today. Those are old recoil type shotguns where the barrels slide back to cock the gun and put another one in the chamber. Pretty popular in the 50s and 60s. I still hunt with them and they don't jam, unlike a lot of the 80s and 90s models that came and went.
I have seen used 1100s at reasonable prices - but an A5 or an 11-48 is going to cost more than most think if they are in good shape. If you do buy an older model shotgun with it's original barrel be aware that they will have fixed chokes (no choke tubes).
Old 01-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Although I own a couple of nice SGs, a BSS 20ga, Franchi 48AL 20ga, A-5 12ga, Valmet 412 12 ga and Ruger Woodside 12ga, when I decided to purchase a dedicated turkey SG, I went cheap. I purchased an H & R Excell Auto (5) and have been pretty darn happy with it. It's a camo finish gun, so no real comments to make about finish, although the fit and camo finish are just fine to my eye. I ended up leaving the darn thing (by mistake) in my garage for almost an entire year and when I finally pulled it out of the case, all was well. I disassembled it expecting to find some rust, perhaps, but it was all just fine. A couple links to follow, if you want:

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/excell.asp

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2010/09...auto_5_012009/
Old 01-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing to think about is the older shotguns are NOT steel shot rated.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Ok thanks I think I will look into the H&R auto because I want somthing that can handel steel shot and has changeable chokes!