Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

nosler partition bullets

Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default nosler partition bullets

i got into a discussion the other day on how NP bullets perform. the other person felt they were designed to come fragment upon impact something like a hollow point with the back portion staying together and punching thru for penetration. i always thought they were a bullet that retained a high percentage of their mass and mushroomed instead of fragmenting. does anyone know the true story behing this bullets?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

You are correct.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

The true story is that they work.

Many newer designs have entered the field but none work any better than the original.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

your both right, through the middle of the partition jacket is the partition or H-mantle made of copper, the part of the core at the tip is pure soft lead, it is designed to expand fast and fragment, the rear core behind the h-mantle has antimony added making it harder and the copper partition keeps it from expanding so it drives deep for very deep penetration.
The only fault of the partition is, if it hits enough resistance at very high velocity and ruptures the partition, the rear core separates from the jacket, comes to pieces and penetration stops right now, wasn't much of a problem when it was first developed, but with todays high intensity cartridges it has became noticeable.
RR
Old 01-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have used the partition for decades. 243 Win., 25/06, 6.5x55 SE, 308 Wn., 30.06 Spr., and 300 Win Mag. Never had any issues with separation. I have used them only on white tail, mule deer and feral hogs.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:24 AM
Typical Buck

I think both are correct, depending on impact speeds and shot placement. Moderate speeds hitting nothing hard, good mushroom with tail end staying intact pushing the bullet through. High speeds or hitting bone, front end will come apart but tail end will push trough in my experience. Example, 2012 season, 257 Bob, 20 yards, hit the shoulder on a nice buck. Exit was the size of a green pea with shrapnel in shoulder. I assume the front end came apart while the tail pushed through.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Wayspr
I think both are correct, depending on impact speeds and shot placement. Moderate speeds hitting nothing hard, good mushroom with tail end staying intact pushing the bullet through. High speeds or hitting bone, front end will come apart but tail end will push trough in my experience. Example, 2012 season, 257 Bob, 20 yards, hit the shoulder on a nice buck. Exit was the size of a green pea with shrapnel in shoulder. I assume the front end came apart while the tail pushed through.
I'm in agreement with the above. I've been shooting Noslers in most my rifles for years. I've recovered a number of them in different calibers and some are nicely mushroomed while some have pretty much had the front wiped out with the rear section recovered. The purpose of the partition is to allow good expansion but to control it from getting excessive so the bullet can continue to penetrate deeply.

Before the Nosler, many calibers suffered from inadequate penetration simply because the bullets weren't tough enough. The 280 Ross, 275 H&H, 250-300 Savage and even the 300 WBY all had this problem. They had higher velocities than other rounds then in use and the bullets couldn't handle it. Nosler solved the problem in the late 1940's and made a bullet that is still the standard the others are compared too and that says a lot about the bullet.

One thing about Noslers, I've never heard of one failing on game and that also says a lot. For the few rifles I don't use Noslers on I use Woodleighs instead. What can be said about Noslers also applies to Woodleighs. Both are great bullets.