Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7stw

Old 10-01-2003, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 7stw

my friends dad built a 7stw on a mauser action....its a beautiful rifle...but man is that a huge round or what!! he took a pic compared to a 308 and a 300win mag...it was pretty big...he plans to deer hunt with it...i dont know why...i mean they do shoot at pretty extreme ranges out past 500yds regularly at deer....no they rarely ever bring a deer home with 1 hole....its kinda sick...if htey dont have ATLEAST 2 boxes of ammo per gun for the opener they are crying and panicing...thts not how i enjoy to do my deer hunting...but exzactly how big is that round??? anyone use one?? whats it good for?? just wondering...it looked pretty big and usless for PA to me...anyone have a decint comparision that i might know?? like a 300weatherby mag maybe?? just wondering...i think he wanted it because of me and my mauser...he always gets what i get....i started fly fishing...so did he...i bought a flybox....he bought the same one...i buy a new rod..he buys one...its just the way its always been...but i use the stuff and he rarely does..but anyone know about the 7stw??
Old 10-01-2003, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7stw

The 7mm STW is a 8mm Rem. Mag. case necked down to 7mm.

I have a 7mm STW in a Weatherby Mark V Accumark. I have not shot it yet; I am saving up for a Zeiss Diavari VM/V 5-15x42T, but I have my loads loaded and ready to break it in.

In my opinion the 7mm STW is practical in taking any animal in North America for exception of the Great Bears.

The 300 Wby. Mag. holds 100.36 grs. (water); the 7mm STW holds 98.30 grs. (water).

Good luck.

Old 10-01-2003, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I owned a 7MM STW in a model 70. Everyone to their own.....I sold it.

I even sold my .270.....my .260 Rem is now boss! After that a .30-06 and then a .375 H&H.

I' m not sure why I needed 40 rifles.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:29 AM

I always thought the 7 STW was for people who had the " need for speed" The 7 MM Shooting Times Western round started out as a wildcat project by shooting times magizine( I think)after a while it was legitimized as are most wildcats. I hear some people talking about 3500 f.p.s. with a 140 gr. bullet out of a 7 STW.Heck I' m getting 3350 out of my 7 Rem. Mag. Model 70.But they were shooting factory loads.if any thing happens to my Rem. Mag. I will go to the STW.if you really want to see a " BAD" 7 MM Check out The LAZZERONI web site.BTW I like hot rod cars too.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have taken over a dozen head of deer as well as bighorn and pronghorn with the 7mmstw.It is my favorite cartridge for these animals.I have also taken several head of elk with this cartridge although I now use the 300ultramag for hunting elk.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:19 AM

The 7mm STW was originally designed by a man named Lance. It was designed as a Bean Field rifle and gained popularity for it' s accuracy and speed. With an 8mm case necked down to receive a 7mm (.284) bullet is only comparible to the heavy weatherby calibers. To say that the stw is to much gun is also saying that the
30-378 Weatherby is also to much gun. To each his own I would think. I don' t own one and I probably never will. However, if I were ever to buy a gun of that size that is what it would be.

Good Shooting.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

HardLuck, my apologies....I didn' t mean to say the 7STW is " too much" ...I meant to say that it was just " too much" FOR ME!!
Old 10-03-2003, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 7mmstw was developed by Layne Simpson as a longe range open country rifle.It actually holds just slightly more powder than the 300 weatherby mag but a fair bit less than the ultramags.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:49 AM

I agree the STW may be a bit much for small deer, like the ones here in Eastern NC but, I have a friend that shoots one. It is a very accurate round and usually puts the deer down for good with one shot. My friend shoots 140gr ballistic tips and hasn' t had a deer do anything but fall when shot with it.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys.....i guess for him its proball a good round then....they shoot pretty far....theyve said theyve killed over 500yds....thats just not my cup of tea.....i like em close....so close if i fart they will smell it and hear it immediatly...looking right at them face to face....theres nothing like that.....shooting from hillside to hillside blasting away until the deer falls just doesnt strike me as fun...but everybody likes something diffrent...i think it would be fun to take them out like a sniper...one precise shot at a long range....but i dont think theyve ever shot just once......1 deer i seen had atleast 7 hits in the body...plus 1 in the rack...thats just not me.....but now...hes got alot more umph then his 243 put out.....he has a custom muzzlebrake on it and it cuts the recoil alot...he doesnt take recoil well so it has to......

Quick Reply: 7stw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.