Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Model 70

Old 12-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

It's a long shot but is it possible the cartridges may be defective and aren't grooved deep or wide enough for the extractor to grab ?

Are you shooting the same ammo as back when everything was fine?

I'm reaching here....
Old 12-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

No it wasnt the same ammo, but I did try some of the same ammo. No difference. This bolt doesnt have the long extractor claw like my rugers do. Its a small claw that moves back and forth across the face of the bolt. When I first got the rifle I thought it was a push feed, but it grabs the shell as soon as it clears the magazine.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

In that case I think the guys that said you may have a bent extractor are probably right.
Good news is that it isn't an expensive fix. I've bent them back into shape myself.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went by a buddy house and looked at his. Mine is a push feed and the pin that holds the extractor is either gone or broke off. Hopefully it will just have slipped out. I'll have to wait till I get home in the morning to see.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 12-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

In your OP you stated it was a newer one with the control feed feature! Here is a quick paragraph that I thought I would do a C/P of because I used to put a cartridge in my pre 64 Model 70 30-06 by feeding it in with my fingers while holding down the others in the magazine until I slid the bolt forward so I would have an extra shell in the gun. I was told by a gunsmith not to do that because eventually I would screw up (bend or break) the extractor. The last part of this paragraph pretty well says the same thing. Since that discussion with the gunsmith I strictly load into the magazine with the number it's designed to hold and then load the top one into the gun the way it's designed for the extractor to grab and hold it. Here is the paragraph from an article on the difference between a push feed and controlled feed system that says the same thing the gunsmith told me in the last couple sentences:

In controlled feed bolt actions, called “Mauser type” actions in some instances, the base of the cartridge slips up and under the extractor from a magazine, and is held against the bolt face during insertion into the chamber. These extractors are also known as “claw” extractors and are relatively large – easily identified by the flat bar that runs along the outside of the bolt. This extractor sits in a groove along the action, and stays stationary as the bolt rotates. Because of its design, the cartridge base sits flush against the bolt face, but is not as fully supported at the chamber mouth as the push feed design. While it may be possible to chamber a round without first inserting it into the magazine, it is not reliable and can cause damage to the rifle or cartridge. It should be noted that Winchester has recently developed a “controlled round push feed” bolt action in specific calibers that can be fed individual rounds reliably.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-23-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
In your OP you stated it was a newer one with the control feed feature! Here is a quick paragraph that I thought I would do a C/P of because I used to put a cartridge in my pre 64 Model 70 30-06 by feeding it in with my fingers while holding down the others in the magazine until I slid the bolt forward so I would have an extra shell in the gun. I was told by a gunsmith not to do that because eventually I would screw up (bend or break) the extractor. The last part of this paragraph pretty well says the same thing. Since that discussion with the gunsmith I strictly load into the magazine with the number it's designed to hold and then load the top one into the gun the way it's designed for the extractor to grab and hold it. Here is the paragraph from an article on the difference between a push feed and controlled feed system that says the same thing the gunsmith told me in the last couple sentences:

In controlled feed bolt actions, called “Mauser type” actions in some instances, the base of the cartridge slips up and under the extractor from a magazine, and is held against the bolt face during insertion into the chamber. These extractors are also known as “claw” extractors and are relatively large – easily identified by the flat bar that runs along the outside of the bolt. This extractor sits in a groove along the action, and stays stationary as the bolt rotates. Because of its design, the cartridge base sits flush against the bolt face, but is not as fully supported at the chamber mouth as the push feed design. While it may be possible to chamber a round without first inserting it into the magazine, it is not reliable and can cause damage to the rifle or cartridge. It should be noted that Winchester has recently developed a “controlled round push feed” bolt action in specific calibers that can be fed individual rounds reliably.
I believe thats what this rifle has. I dont use it my wife kind of stole it from me. I knew when I first shot it it grabbed the shell as soon as it came out of the magazine. Thanks for the info. My rugers I have always put the extra shell in by passing the magazine.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go on the Winchester website and you can find out when that rifle was made by matching up the serial number within the numbers that were made each year. Then you should know exactly what you're dealing with. Do you know approximately how old it is and how long have you had it? Mine was made in 1956. Here is the direct link to look yours up:

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-24-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Go on the Winchester website and you can find out when that rifle was made by matching up the serial number within the numbers that were made each year. Then you should know exactly what you're dealing with. Do you know approximately how old it is and how long have you had it? Mine was made in 1956. Here is the direct link to look yours up:

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm
Thanks for the info