Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Odds of a round not going off but a good dent on a primer

Old 01-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DJfan
Had it happen this season while looking through the scope at a big white tail doe. It was a federal 30-.06 180 grain.
gonna still buy Federal stuff ammo ?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:28 AM
Typical Buck

If your rifle won't hit a primer (ANY brand) hard enough to set it off install a firing pin spring that will get the job done. All this stuff about this or that brand will or won't work in my rifle is nuts. Every rifle in proper working condition should be able to fire every cartridge of reputable make in its particular chambering. Anything less indicates a repair is needed.

In my opinion.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

When Wolf (Russki) ammo hit the scene I bought a couple boxes and took my little bolt action to the range with me. It was noisey and I had muffs on when shooting. I thought I had a dud and jacked it out. I just happened to see the case roll across the table, minus the bullet! No powder. The primer pushed the bullet up the barrel about 3" and there it stopped. If I had loaded another round I am sure things would have started to happen. Misfires? Yes, with factory and surplus ammo, never with a reload. I have gone through a lot of boxes of 1,000 primers without one misfire.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
If your rifle won't hit a primer (ANY brand) hard enough to set it off install a firing pin spring that will get the job done. All this stuff about this or that brand will or won't work in my rifle is nuts. Every rifle in proper working condition should be able to fire every cartridge of reputable make in its particular chambering. Anything less indicates a repair is needed.

In my opinion.
Amen!!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Every rifle in proper working condition should be able to fire every cartridge of reputable make in its particular chambering. Anything less indicates a repair is needed.

In my opinion.
So in your opinion , a manufacturer never produces/distributes a flawed round? Seriously....
Old 01-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
So in your opinion , a manufacturer never produces/distributes a flawed round? Seriously....
I didn't mean to imply anything like that. What I meant was if your rifle regularly fails to fire a particular brand of ammo it's probably because that brand has harder primers than other brands and your firing pin spring is a bit weak. I'd replace the spring if it was my rifle, not shop for ammo it will reliably fire.

I've had a couple people tell me that CCI primers are harder than other brands and will dimple but not fire if your spring is a little weak. I've used CCI for many years and never experienced this.

An occasional rare round does show up with a faulty primer. Thats a whole different matter. I've had only one in 40 years of shooting and handloading. Luckily it was when shooting at a doe for camp meat.