Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka or Howa, which would you buy?

Old 09-26-2003, 02:30 PM

Default Tikka or Howa, which would you buy?

I' m in a funny situation. I can either pick up a Tikka WH Deluxe in 30.06 for 579.00 or a Howa 1500 .270 in stainless/synthetic for 399.00.

The problem is, I can get the Tikka (although I' d rather have a .270) and wait awhile to buy the scope, sling, scope covers, etc. or buy the Howa and get the scope, sling, scope covers, etc, at the same time as the rifle. I have limited funds and the Howa plus everything else would bring me in just under that limit. The Tikka and all the accessories would take me quite a bit over my budget.

I still wouldn' t get a chance to take it hunting this year. Work and other things have me bottled up and I wouldn' t have time to get to the range often enough to find it' s pet load, and to practice. I have a 30-30 that I' ll use this year anyway that I' ve already checked the sight-in on.

So, what would you do?
Old 09-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tikka or Howa, which would you buy?

I would go with the one you want,if you want a .270 buy a .270,be it the Howa or Tikka.

But now there is new fase to the question,Howa is selling a pakage rifle,it comes witha 3-9x42 scope and Fill-up covers,sling and swivles for arond 450.00 MSGR standerd calibers and the magnums around 470.00 MSGR.It is syn stock/blued barell.I' m realy considering one of these rifles in 338 Win mag.You should check them out.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:50 PM

Jack, thanks for the reply. I' ve seen the package rifles, and it' s a good deal depending on that scope. It' s a Nikka scope and I' ve never even heard of those before.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-26-2003, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I with ya on the scope it' s called a Nikko Stirling Gold crown,I' ve read a little about them on other dealer sights they soung decent but who knows,I' m gonna take a chance on one come December I will call it a X-mass presant to me.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:48 PM

I would get the Tikka. I have shot both, and the Howa is a decent rifle, but the Tikka is a much better rifle in my opinion, of course that is just my opinion
Old 09-26-2003, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Tikka WT Hunter a couple months ago( + -).I haven' t had time to shoot it yet.After trying the trigger,working the action and the overall quality I was sold on it.BassPro had them for 399.99 which I think is a good price. It was available in 300 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag for that price. I went with the 7mm.Sako makes the clamp on rings for it,or you can use regular bases.The clamp rings were 40.00.I have no experince with the Howa' s.I would save a little longer and buy the Tikka with a quality scope.You said you won' t use it this year anyway,so you have plenty of time for next years season.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-27-2003, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tikka. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would wait and get what you want rather than settling for second best .
Old 09-27-2003, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both Tikka and Howa have built quality reputations, and the .270 and .30-06 are roughly equivalent cartridges.

The $180 difference definitely shouldn' t be the deciding factor. It' s a peanuts issue....

as far as the ' 06 and .270 thing, the .30-06 is better when the game turns to elk, moose and Caribou. The .270 is possibly one of the finest long range cartridges for deer, antelope, sheep, goats.

Today' s premium bullets are closing the previously small gap between their differences. I personally prefer the old ' 06.....it' s a truly amazing cartridge.

Quick Reply: Tikka or Howa, which would you buy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.