Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Suggestions for a new hunting rifle?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Spike

Default Suggestions for a new hunting rifle?

Hey bros Im saving up for another rifle but I really have no clue what to get I'm looking at a 375 h&h (I'm not recoil shy at all) and I have a 338 win mag lingering in my mind as well. My budget is 1000 dollars more or less. Really what I would like is for you guys to give me your opinions on your favorite guns. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

I had to have a .375 H&H also. I got a Sako action and had a smith put a barrel and make a stock from a blank. It came out ok but I did not know, at the time in the 1960's, that control round feeding was desirable for what could be a dangerous game rifle.

I was really into casting bullets then and I have a hollow point gas check mold for the .375. I shot a deer with that load.

That was long ago and now I have lost interest in that rifle.

We get guns that we want for the fun of it. Get a 375 when one comes your way.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input I really do want the gun but do you still have that sako?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Typical Buck

Heck fire.............

Go for a Barrett .50 BMG.

If you are going to be a bear be a grizzly. And if you are going to be a BS artist at least entertain us in the process.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Spike

Yea I think that 50 will work for most deer sized game.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

take a look - this may help, still only one man's opinion;

http://elkhunter2.tripod.com/rifle.html
Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

I still have the Sako L61R custom .375 H&H Improved.

I don't sell guns to private individuals, only to FFL dealers with a receipt.

Guns are not all that expensive and fun to own what you want.

Look for a CRF M70 so chambered or some other similar rifle.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

It all depends on what you are going to use it for.

I started big game hunting when I was in college and was living in NW Colorado. Back then the locals thought a .270 Win or .30-06 was perfect for mule deer and elk hunting, so my first centerfire rifle was a .30-06.

My .30-06 worked fine for several years of hunting mule deer, elk, and pronghorn antelope in Colorado and also for several years of hunting those same animals when I moved to Montana.

Then I met a new friend that had more than one rifle. He had a .22-250 for varmints, a .243 Win for deer, and a 7mm Rem mag for elk and larger animals. He also gave me a .30 Gibbs case, which I thought was very cool.

I carried that .30 Gibbs case in my pocket for several months, and finally had a local gunsmith re-chamber my .30-06 to .30 Gibbs. That was going to be my elk and other large animal rifle. And like my friend, I decided that I needed a varmint rifle and a deer rifle. I had also seen a tapered octagon barrel on a custom rifle at a gunshow, so I had my gunsmith make me a tapered octagon barrel in .22-250 and put it in a Mauser Mark X action for me. I had also been reading PO Ackley's books, so I had my gunsmith re-chamber another Mark X barreled action to .257 Ackley Improved which was to be my deer size critter rifle.

That all happened about 35 years ago, and I thought I had a perfect battery of rifles for all of my hunting. My .22-250 was great on varmints and I even used it on a few deer and pronghorn antelope. My .257 AI also worked on varmints, was great for deer and antelope, several bighorn rams and a Dall ram, a caribou, and a large 6x6 bull elk. My .30 Gibbs kept my freezers full of elk meat for almost 30 years, and also made one shot kills on a couple of Shiras moose bulls and a mountain goat.

Then about 15 years ago some friends of mine bought a South African plains game hunt at a Safari Club dinner and asked me to join them. Problem was I was going through a very nasty divorce and I couldn't have my guns, so one of my friends let me use his 7mm Rem mag in Africa. I liked that rifle so much that after my divorce was final, I bought my own 7mm RM. I then used it on a Musk ox/caribou hunt in the Arctic and on another African hunt. It's a stainless barrel and action in a plastic stock so I keep it as a wet weather backup rifle for elk or whatever.

In 2004 I booked a Cape Buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe so I needed a .375 or larger rifle for that hunt. I was impressed with the ballistics of the .375 Rem Ultra mag, so I built one. I've used that rifle on two African hunts, and it worked great on everything from 30 lb Steenbucks to 1500 lb Buffalo and Eland. Here at home it's a safe queen.

Ever since I started big game hunting in the mid '60s, I've admired Weatherby rifles, and particularly the .300 Weatherby. About 5 years ago I saw a good deal on a .300 Weatherby Vanguard so I bought it. I re-stocked it in Fancy walnut and made a few other modifications, and it is fast becoming my favorite rifle. With Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets it's flat shooting, accurate, and has enough power for just about any animal in North America or any of the African plains game. It will be going to New Zealand with me next year.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Savage_99
I had to have a .375 H&H also. I got a Sako action and had a smith put a barrel and make a stock from a blank. It came out ok but I did not know, at the time in the 1960's, that control round feeding was desirable for what could be a dangerous game rifle.

I was really into casting bullets then and I have a hollow point gas check mold for the .375. I shot a deer with that load.

That was long ago and now I have lost interest in that rifle.

We get guns that we want for the fun of it. Get a 375 when one comes your way.
Some would say that CRF is more desirable, some would say poppycock. I'd say (to the OP) to just get a .375 H&H in any well built rifle that fits well and that you can handle. Personally, I love Sako's. Another good option would be CZ.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I often thought about a 375 H&H just for nostalgic reasons. But it would probably end up being a gun safe queen. If I do get the chance here in my later years to go to the dark continent or to Alaska for moose or brown bear that will be my cartridge of choice. I will probably end up getting a Browning A bolt Stainless Stalker because I am a southpaw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.