Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

10-22

Old 07-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default 10-22

looking for advise on putting together a target 10-22 for the kiddos a guy at work said he been happy with a er shaw bull barrel and a key stone thumb hole stock but always open for any advise for barrel and inside parts would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-02-2013, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is accuracy the number 1 priority? If so, I would suggest a different rifle altogether.

If you could find one for a decent price a CZ 452, or the Savage Mark II (lower cost) are both great rifles out of the box.

If you really want a autoloading semi-auto, I would steer clear of the 10/22 unless you want to spend as much as you did for the rifle new to make a real tack driver. You'll need a bull barrel, possibly new stock, adjust trigger, etc.

The Marlin 795, while not as customizable, shoots much better out of the box than the 10/22. I own both and don't touch the 10/22 any more.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

I tell ya, Rugers factory bull barrel gun is very accurate out of box. I am talking 1MOA at 100 yards if you stay subsonic. I was surprised.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by REM7MMAG
looking for advise on putting together a target 10-22 for the kiddos a guy at work said he been happy with a er shaw bull barrel and a key stone thumb hole stock but always open for any advise for barrel and inside parts would be greatly appreciated
Depends on how much you are wanting to spend and what the true bottom line of what you really want out of the rifle to do.

Boyds stocks will give you any and all kinds of configurations you could ever want.

Kidd or Shaw barrels. Again, easy to install and VERY ACCURATE!!!
Volquartsen if you really want to spend money.

Depending on your mechanical capabilities, you can buy a total trigger rebuild kit rather cheap and turn your stock trigger into a VERY nice one. OR you can spend $300 and up and buy an already built one and just drop it in and go from Volquartsen.

As someone has already said, just depends on what you are after and want to spend.
I have built 2 that will shoot sub 1/2 inch groups at 50yds and sub MOA at 100yds with match ammo all day long. With glass they are 1K each.

Last edited by SecondChance; 07-02-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Like everyone else has said...it really depends on what you really want. If you really want highly accurate target rifle, I would avoid the 10/22. I love the two 10/22's I have, 1 is bone stock, one I piled $ into it (way more than the cost of the rifle new) for a new barrel, trigger, mag release and glass/bases/rings...but at the end of the day, they money invested in the heavy barrel one wasn't worth it. You mention you want it for your kids though...again, if this is the case...again, I wouldn't pile money into a 10/22 for a kids "target" rifle.

For a really good reasonably priced tack driving rifle...Savage Model 93 heavy barrel models are very accurate (I have one in 17HMR and love it), CZ makes a couple of very accurate options as well and the Savage Mark II will all out-shoot the 10/22 all day long out of the box.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 10/22's...and the stock one is a great rifle to shoot and has a bazillion rounds through it and has certainly killed more wildlife than any rifle I own...but a "target" rifle it is not...auto-loaders in general don't lend themselves to the highest accuracy potential.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's for the kiddos, I'd get a a Marlin Model 60. I have a fairly cheap scope and get 1" groups at 100 yards with CCI ammo. That's pretty hard to beat and half the price of a 10/22.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

thank you for your replies after sitting down looking at what we want to do I think may leave the 10-22 the way it is im leaning towards one of the bull barrel savages ty again for all yall's advise