Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which of these 2 guns should I sell?

Old 06-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which of these 2 guns should I sell?

I have 2 rifles in 22 long and wish to get rid of one so I reached out to a friend an asked if he wanted one of them for $125 w/ scope and he said yes. My plan was to sell the Ruger 10/22 stainless synthetic w/ a $50 simmons scope b/c the gun doesn't feel as good in my hands and the stock is shorter than the other gun but when i looked up the value and ratings, the ruger seems superior. My gun can be purchased for $250 new, I think?? Withe the scope, it is a $300 pkg so $125 is probably too light for this gun.

The other gun is a Remington 597. At BPS is sells for $190 plus a $50 scope, so a $240 pkg. However, the reviews don't seem nearly as good vs. the Ruger but $125 is probably a fair number on this gun. Both are in nice shape, 8's in both cases though the scope on the remington is clearer and nicer, plus, as i said, i like the feel better on the Rem.

Anyway, odd question but i'm wrestling with it now that I see the value and ratings of the ruger. Any input is appreciated.

One option might be to raise the price to $175 for the ruger though of the 2, it still seems superior in quality but at 6'3'', it feels like a kids gun to me
Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tealboy
I have 2 rifles in 22 long and wish to get rid of one so I reached out to a friend an asked if he wanted one of them for $125 w/ scope and he said yes. My plan was to sell the Ruger 10/22 stainless synthetic w/ a $50 simmons scope b/c the gun doesn't feel as good in my hands and the stock is shorter than the other gun but when i looked up the value and ratings, the ruger seems superior. My gun can be purchased for $250 new, I think?? Withe the scope, it is a $300 pkg so $125 is probably too light for this gun.

The other gun is a Remington 597. At BPS is sells for $190 plus a $50 scope, so a $240 pkg. However, the reviews don't seem nearly as good vs. the Ruger but $125 is probably a fair number on this gun. Both are in nice shape, 8's in both cases though the scope on the remington is clearer and nicer, plus, as i said, i like the feel better on the Rem.

Anyway, odd question but i'm wrestling with it now that I see the value and ratings of the ruger. Any input is appreciated.

One option might be to raise the price to $175 for the ruger though of the 2, it still seems superior in quality but at 6'3'', it feels like a kids gun to me
What's worth more? A few bucks or your word to your friend? I'd give him the gun before I went back on the deal that I offered him.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
What's worth more? A few bucks or your word to your friend? I'd give him the gun before I went back on the deal that I offered him.
And there you have it. A test of character.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keep the gun that fits you best and the scope that seems most clear to you.

Although I don't like the idea of selling any gun unless it's inaccurate !
Old 06-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Co Dog nailed it...your word is worth nothing to your friend if you back out now...$50 is not worth a friendship...but Sheridan shared my thought even more completely...I don't sell guns period...as every time I have I end up kicking myself eventually. Bottom line, if you offered the gun at $125...sell it for $125 and keep the friend.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

LOL. I don't think a single post answered my question...but after re reading my post, i understand why.

i'm not asking for advice on character or sticking to a price, that doesn't have anything to do with what i'm asking. The guy doesn't have a clue what gun i own or am considering selling. I simply sent him a note and asked if he had an interest in buying one of my 22 lr. I have five but am considering selling one of two b/c i hardly use any of them let alone all 5. I expected him to say he already has several himself but instead, he is interested but not the case, so good but now i need to make an official decision.

I could easily sell the rem for 125 and be done with it. He would also be happy if i offered him "the better gun" for 175 and probably more happy if i gave him the choice. He doesn't really care, he is a very well off atty who will buy whichever i offer and is capable of determing what is a fair price.

what i am struggling with more than anything is the "feel" of the rem is better for me but the reviews and value of this gun is less. It makes me feel like i should keep the ruger b/c it is clearly of a cult following and pricier gun but it doesn't feel as comfortable to me. that's all, was just looking for feedback on the guns and suggestions but i can see the confusion in my post.

I'm going to offer him both guns, one for 125 and the other for 175 and let him pick. I don't really care, can be happy with either. At 175, the sting is lessened on the better gun, if he takes the rem, that's fine too, i ended up keeping the better quality gun w/ ss. Afterall, it is only an occassional plinking gun for me
Old 06-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd keep the 10/22. Ten times better than the Remington. Remington is one of my favorite guns but that 22 is a dud. JMO.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:36 AM
Spike

10/22 is the keeper.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I'd keep the 10/22. Ten times better than the Remington. Remington is one of my favorite guns but that 22 is a dud. JMO.
+1 .......
Old 06-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

Id sell both and go buy a Marlin 60.

Never shot the Remy, but im not a big fan of the 10/22 unless you like to make your gun pretty with 20 million accessories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.