Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Another Browning?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Spike

Default Another Browning?

Hello,

So I'm in the market for another rifle this year there's a new cabela's going up in Winnipeg, MB so I figure what better time to try and snag a deal then on there opening sales event!

I already have a browning xbolt SS in .300WSM, and I love it the recoil pad really makes it fun to shoot. Problem is ammo is expensive and I'd like to hunt coyotes and target shoot all year and not break the bank. I've decided to go with .243, ammo is much cheaper and the gun would be a great gun to give my younger brother when I decide to take him hunting with me. Now the dilemma, I noticed that browning came out with a few new xbolt models at shot show 2013. A few I like were the stainless fluted carbonfiber and the stainles long range hunter in realtree camo... None of them come in .243!!! So my choices, so far at least, are between:

another, Browning xbolt SS
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/481/br...t-action-rifle

or, Tikka t3 stainless camo
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/5909/t...88961296560085

I love the look and feel of the browning it fits very nicely and my .300WSM is impressively accurate bullet holes in bullet holes at 100 and 200 yrds. with a redfield revolution 3x9-50mm scope (also super imressed with the scope). So it makes sense to buy this rifle as I am familiar with it. But I would like something in camo as this will mainly be a predator gun. If anyone has any usefull info on the tikka such as pros and cons vs. the xbolt that would be greatly appreciated. Also I am open to rifles of similar nature, stainless camo in .243 I'd like a nice factory trigger and a smooth tight fitting bolt I really dont like how cheap the savages feel and the way the bolt is soo loosely fit and rattles because of it.

Again thanks in advance for any advice of suggestions etc.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jarrey12
Hello,

So I'm in the market for another rifle this year there's a new cabela's going up in Winnipeg, MB so I figure what better time to try and snag a deal then on there opening sales event!

I already have a browning xbolt SS in .300WSM, and I love it the recoil pad really makes it fun to shoot. Problem is ammo is expensive and I'd like to hunt coyotes and target shoot all year and not break the bank. I've decided to go with .243, ammo is much cheaper and the gun would be a great gun to give my younger brother when I decide to take him hunting with me. Now the dilemma, I noticed that browning came out with a few new xbolt models at shot show 2013. A few I like were the stainless fluted carbonfiber and the stainles long range hunter in realtree camo... None of them come in .243!!! So my choices, so far at least, are between:

another, Browning xbolt SS
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/481/br...t-action-rifle

or, Tikka t3 stainless camo
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/5909/t...88961296560085

I love the look and feel of the browning it fits very nicely and my .300WSM is impressively accurate bullet holes in bullet holes at 100 and 200 yrds. with a redfield revolution 3x9-50mm scope (also super imressed with the scope). So it makes sense to buy this rifle as I am familiar with it. But I would like something in camo as this will mainly be a predator gun. If anyone has any usefull info on the tikka such as pros and cons vs. the xbolt that would be greatly appreciated. Also I am open to rifles of similar nature, stainless camo in .243 I'd like a nice factory trigger and a smooth tight fitting bolt I really dont like how cheap the savages feel and the way the bolt is soo loosely fit and rattles because of it.

Again thanks in advance for any advice of suggestions etc.

No sure which savage models you are referring to? I too like a nice smooth tight bolt and that is exactly what my savages have....just curious.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Spike

NebBuckHunter,

Dont get me wrong,I am in no way saying they are cheap rifles! I just find that the few that I've held and shot felt cheap one was a savage axis scope combo in 30-06 which doesnt suprise me as it was only 350$ and the scope didnt hold zero, and another 30-06 Savage FCNS 11/111 which was accurate and fun to shoot but also felt cheap in my hands and the numerous savages I've held at the old cabela's in town did not impress me either.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy a Weatherby.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Browning vs Sako - I understand .....................

Browning vs Tikka - Browning every time !
Old 03-22-2013, 02:04 AM
Typical Buck

Browning. Tikka only uses one action length meaning you're getting a long action and magazine for your short 243 Win.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

I actually own a Tikka T3 (stainless lite), as opposed to those haters which I assume don't...mine is in 270WSM and I absolutely love it. It's probably my current favorite rifle to hunt with and the one I have taken with me on the last several white-tail hunts in MI and a mulley hunt in WY last year. It out-shoots me (SUB MOA with factory ammo..Nosler Custom with 140g AccuBonds...from the first three shots out of the box). The trigger breaks like glass, the bolt is smooth as butter, it shoots and handles like a dream...I have around 40 rifles in my safe...Sako's, Browning A-Bolts, Remington 700 BDL's, Savage 99's, a Savage 10 FLCP-K, Savage 11 Lightweight, Savage 93, Browning BLR's....all of them shoot well and some are more expensive some are less expensive...but the Tikka holds it's own against all of them and has probably taken more deer in the 4 years I have had it (probably around 40 now...8-10 a year in Michigan alone) than most people kill their entire life and not one of those deer had died any less...the Tikka T3 is a respectable gun. The only 3 things I do not like about it are...the stock (it's OK...but as soon as I can find a good replacement in left handed I will consider it), the detachable mag (because it's expensive for what it is to buy a spare...) and the recoil pad...I spent $20 and put a Limbsaver on it and love it. For the $ the Tikka is hard to beat....especially if you need a left handed rifle.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Spike

Sheridan, I held a few sako a7's and the stock didnt seem all that special compared to the browning. I have yet to hold the finlight but thats a little more money than I'm willing to part with.

Emtrescue6, I am a right handed shooter and its only a 243 so I dont see myself needing much of a recoil pad as for the detachable mag I agree spares are all really expensive. What is it you dont like about the stock?
Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jarrey12
Sheridan, I held a few sako a7's and the stock didnt seem all that special compared to the browning. I have yet to hold the finlight but thats a little more money than I'm willing to part with.

Emtrescue6, I am a right handed shooter and its only a 243 so I dont see myself needing much of a recoil pad as for the detachable mag I agree spares are all really expensive. What is it you dont like about the stock?
It's not that I despise the stock so much that I hate it...it's just not the best part of the gun. It was actually the first hunting rifle I had ever bought with a synthetic stock as I much prefer a nice wood stock...I have since acquired a couple savages with synthetic stocks, the AccuStock on my Model 10 FLCP-K is nice but still not a great stock in my opinion. Bottom line is that I am a wood guy and that's the reason I don't really like the stock on my Tikka...it's functional, accurate and handles nicely and in my opinion the Tikka T3 is a great rifle for the $...game won't be any less dead when you shoot one with it and you'll be hard pressed to find another gun for the same $ of the same quality and accuracy. I'd buy another Tikka in a heartbeat.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Spike

Emtrescue6: I realize that an animal killed is an animal killed and they wont be anymore dead, but I love target shooting which makes it that much more important that I'm happy with every aspect of the gun cause I dont want to have to buy and sell guns till I find one I like I figure I'll get as many opinions as I can and do as much reasearch as I can and base my descision off that. And I agree wood stocks are much nicer but theres a strong possibility that this will be a gun that stays in my truck so, I'd rather beat up a synthetic stock than a wood stock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.