Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for a new gun.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MANILAMAN
I'm looking to buy a new gun. Its going to have to be for me and the wife. We will be hunting mainly deer but also pronghorn and elk. Being that the wife is going to use it also and the fact that I'm a sissy and can't handle recoil. (shot my buddies 300wsm and couldn't hit anything because of tensing up) Its going to have to be something is little kick. I'm looking at the 270 wsm, 7mm rem mag, or the 7mm wsm. What are peoples thoughts on these. I will be reloading what ever I get. I have a 7mm Mauser now and shot great with it and open sights. But want something a little new and faster. I have found a model 70 7mm wsm with a break for a great deal. Should I buy it?

MANILAMAN,

buffybr touched on the rifle fit for your wife, BUT I'll just come right out:

If you want a new rifle get one for yourself. But the best thing you could do for your wife is to get her one that FITS her. Maybe get you one and set up the 7mm for her? - Scope it and fit the stock for her?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
they do or use to make them. I held a LH 22-250 once.
RR
According to everything I have read in every book I have...they never made the left-handed BDL in anything but those 4 calibers I posted. That being said I have seen a couple 308's previously on Gunbroker (none lately) and I have also seen a 22-250 for sale before on Gunbroker...but it was built on a former 270 action. I have a 270, but it shoots so well I refuse to use it for my donor gun...I also have a 7mm Mag, but it has been to the Remington Factor Custom shop for work and again...it shoots so well (and has a few $$ in to it) I don't wanna tear it up either...haha. So, ya got one laying around RR?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Spike

I agree, go with the 270 Winchester. My Ruger 270WSM has quite a bit more
recoil than my Vanguard S2 in 270 winchester. You might even have to step down to
a 7mm08, for your wife.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

I'm sure the bdl was available for several years in at least the 308 and 22-250, the bdl LH short action is still being made today in the cdl model available in 223 and 243. they're out there, like the lh win model 70's, they mere made for more than several years but I have never saw or held one.
RR
no but I do have a LH 788 chambered in 6mm
Yeah I agree I have seen some for sale online...but all of my books say otherwise. I may end up with a CDL is that's what I can find. I really like the 2 left-handed BDL's I have, and that was what my gun-maker suggested for an action, so that is why I am trying to go that route.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by emtrescue6
Hey buffybr, I am currently on the search for a donor rifle to build my first custom rifle (anyone got a left handed Rem 700 BDL action in 270 or 30-06????)...anyway, I am considering building a 257 Roberts AI...how is your rifle on barrels??? How do you like the cal? I am really starting to like the .25 cal's and have always wanted a Bob....

Any suggestions or comments welcome!
When I built my .257 AI, I had been reading PO Ackley's books. and I thought the .257 AI just looked really cool. I bought a new Mauser Mark X barreled action in .25-05 and had a smith re-chamber it to .257 AI. That was back in the late 70s.

I load my .257 AI fairly hot, but below the point of any visible over pressure signs. I'm still on the original barrel and there are no signs of wear. It's my favorite deer and pronghorn rifle, and I've killed a number of sheep with it. I don't really shoot it a lot, maybe one or two boxes of shells per year.

If I had it to do over again, would I build another .257 AI? Probably.

There is a good thread by John Barsness, a gunwriter from Montana who has had about a dozen rifles chambered in .257 Roberts or .257 AI, over on 24hourcampfire in the Ask The Gunwriters Forum.

Last edited by buffybr; 03-07-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

bdl and cdl are the same action
RR
Correct............
Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by buffybr
When I built my .257 AI, I had been reading PO Ackley's books. and I thought the .257 AI just looked really cool. I bought a new Mauser Mark X barreled action in .25-05 and had a smith re-chamber it to .257 AI. That was back in the late 70s.

I load my .257 AI fairly hot, but below the point of any visible over pressure signs. I'm still on the original barrel and there are no signs of wear. It's my favorite deer and pronghorn rifle, and I've killed a number of sheep with it. I don't really shoot it a lot, maybe one or two boxes of shells per year.

If I had it to do over again, would I build another .257 AI? Probably.

There is a good thread by John Barsness, a gunwriter from Montana who has had about a dozen rifles chambered in .257 Roberts or .257 AI, over on 24hourcampfire in the Ask The Gunwriters Forum.
Thanks! I had initially thought about building a 25-300 WSM (I like my 25 WSSM, thought I'd LOVE a 25-300 WSM)...but the more I read the more I started leaning toward a 257AI. I knew I wanted a 25 cal and this is going to be my first build.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

25 souper AI?
RR
Had never heard of it till you posted this....ahhhh now you just want me to keep thinking! hahaha

Google, here I come!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

I have a factory 257 Bob in a Ruger 77 that is on a long action. When I put a loaded round into a Remy 700 short action they won't fit the magazine.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wayspr
I have a factory 257 Bob in a Ruger 77 that is on a long action. When I put a loaded round into a Remy 700 short action they won't fit the magazine.
That's good to know! My "smith" also recommended a long-action...that being said, being left handed and wanting to use an older BDL action...I am pretty much limited to a long-action anyway as from all I can find they were only ever made in long and magnum actions...270, 30-06, 7mm and 300 RUM....I have a 270 and a 7mm but they both shoot so well I don't want to use them for my donors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.