Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

243 LOAD CHOOICE FOR DEER?

Old 09-25-2003, 11:34 AM

Default RE: 243 LOAD CHOOICE FOR DEER?

Hey Swampdog.how are ya?.i am not saying there isnt a better .243 bullet for killing deer out there..there may well be..as a general rule i would agree with you and advise to go with the heaviest bullets, considering that most 85 grain .243 bullets are designed for varmints....for example..i would have like to have tried some 100 grain nosler partitions on deer...a neighbor had very good results with them in his .243 but the noslers wouldnt shoot well in my gun ,so i gave up on them...also, i have heard a lot of people praise barnes bullets....i keep an open mind....i thought about going to a heavier sierra bullet since the 85 grainers shot well in my gun but the people at sierra advised not to go up to 100 grainers in their bullet in .243, as they didnt expand well on deer sized game.....all i am saying is that bullet weight is only one factor in how well a bullet holds together....i shot deer in the past with a 6.5 swede using 140 grain horaday interlocks ,and they blew up like dynamite..ruined a lot of meat...not due to a fault of the bullet so much as i had a fast twist military rifle and with my maximum loads the bullet tore apart on impact due to the great centifical force......all i am saying is that i found one good bullet for my rifle..i may try those barnes bullets next.....happy swampin!
Old 09-25-2003, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

the people at sierra advised not to go up to 100 grainers in their bullet in .243, as they didnt expand well on deer sized game.....
Hmm, thats interesting. You must have been talking to someone that had been smoking a little something. The 100 grain GameKing was designed as a deer bullet and expands very well. It also holds together well. I use them exclusively in my 243 Win. Are you sure you aren' t talking about the MatchKing?
Old 09-26-2003, 11:17 AM

Frizzellr i see lots i think have been smoking something?

The 243 will kill deer very well! My son has taken a total of 6 with one and it WORKS! oh and he is only 13!
he has been shooting 70 gr ballistic tips . i am going to load some 95 gr partitions this year and see if they work as good!
Old 09-26-2003, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the 100 gr. Nosler from federal,I like them cause they buck the wind a little better here in Montana.One of my buddies here shoots them with the Game kings.The deer have never seemed to now the diffrence.

I don' t think my .243 is going to get much use this year cause I got myself another 25-06 and I think it will be a great deer/gaot slayer w/115 gr Balistic silver tips.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:59 PM
Host of Hosts

It' s a great varmint round that is marginal for deer
I agree with the above statement! I feel that a .243 should only be used for deer by an experienced shooter.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fight4yourguns, I feel the same as you do about the .22' s!
However, I do feel that the .243/6mm with good 100 grain bullets to be a very good minimum for deer sized game.
I shot a 6mm Remington for years with excellent results.
I have long since moved on to a .308 and 7MM Rem. mag.
If I ever went back to a lighter gun, I' d probably go with at least a .260, but I' d rather see people using a .243/6MM any day than to see them using ANYTHING in .22 caliber!
Old 09-26-2003, 07:36 PM

Hello Frizz...well ,you never really know whom you are talking to on a phone(he could have been smokin something),but this guy was supposed to be sierras expert on these bullets,otherwise..if he would have suggested using the 100 grainers i would have tried them first,but no ,this crackhead recommended the 85 grainers..the hollow point boattail,and they worked well for me....but just to be on the safe side i am going to call those crack heads again next week and ask them again about the 100 grainers....evidently they work well for you.......sierra bullets are so tough you can probably shoot moose with them 100 grainers....no...only joking! Game King was the 85 grainer he recommended....this is getting funny...we are really getting into our bullets here!.....i just may try those 100 grainers myself!...will keep you posted!
Old 09-27-2003, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

I use the hornady 100gr round nose in my 243 and my son uses the nosler 95gr BT both these bullets work well on deer size game.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:39 PM

for whitetail size game,and hogs.........I would not go after elk,or moose with the 243.

Winchester 80 grain PSP has worked for me for the lsat 25 years.I have only lost one deer and that was my fault(bad hit).

I have taken in excess of 100 deer and (I would be scard to say how many hogs) in the 100' s,have never lost a hog[X(][X(];just the one deer!

thats why they make 243,270,308 , 7mm,each to his or her own.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My son killed his first deer at age 11 a couple of years ago with a 243 and a 100grn Sierra Gameking so i know they will do the job as will Hornadys spire points. I have a friend who swears by the Nosler 100grn Partitions in his 6mm and he kills a lot of big deer with that bullet. There has been a ton of deer killed with the 243 and i think any 100grn soft point will do a fine job on deer from this caliber if put in the kill zone. I personally wouldn' t shoot a deer with a ballistic tip or any explosive type bullet from a 243 it' s just to risky with that caliber. I know others do but i just wouldn' t take the chance.

Quick Reply: 243 LOAD CHOOICE FOR DEER?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.