Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning BLR

Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default Browning BLR

I have a good friend that gave me his BLR to reload some ammo for. It is a 7mm-08 and about 20 years old. I gave it a good cleaning and took some measurements to determine the max COL. While handling it, I came across something that seems odd. Is it normal to be able to very slightly open the lever and still be able to pull the trigger dropping the hammer? Any info would be appreciated as I have zero experience with lever guns.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
it shouldn't fire unless the ifle is still ockedin battery, it should have a hammer bolck to prevent that. p a izd case and ee if it will fire a primer in that state.
RR
Interpreter please? LOL Good thing I speak typoneese!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

puter is gettin stupid!
it shouldn't fire unless the rifle is still locked and fully in battery, it should have a hammer block to prevent that. place a sized primed case in the chamber and see if it will fire a primer in that state.
RR
HAHAHA...mine does that at times too
Old 02-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

When the lever is moved slightly downward, the bolt travels backward about 1/16" before trigger is disengaged. Is this normal for a BLR? And Ridge, yes the hammer will fall, hit the pin and pop the primer in this state.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

you might want to have your friend take it to a gunsmith and have it checked out just to be safe. if someone would fire a live round without the locking lugs engaged the pressure pushing the bolt backwards could cause the lever downward and could break some fingers or worse.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

puter is gettin stupid!
it shouldn't fire unless the rifle is still locked and fully in battery, it should have a hammer block to prevent that. place a sized primed case in the chamber and see if it will fire a primer in that state.
RR
RR - That's what I interpreted it to read. But your first post WAS a bit funny. Like one of your fingers fell asleep or just wasn't functioning!!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

but it does have a lugged bolt correct? so I'm pretty sure in the event that it does fire a live round in that position the lugs will hold the bolt in position till pressure drops, when the lugs are in position to release the bolt the trigger should disconnect.
RR
Being as I have zero experience with lever guns I am trying to understand the mechanics. Yes, the bolt is lugged. I assume as the lever is raised, the bolt rotates locking the lugs then trigger is engaged. Just trying to figure out if this play in the action is normal.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

The easiest and safest way to test the rifle is to do as RR mentioned...take a primed case (now powder, no lead) and attempt to fire the rifle with the lever in the "disengaged" position you mention. I own a pile of lever guns including 2 BLR's and mine do something similar to what you describe but will not fire in that position...as soon as the lever "drops" the rifle won't fire (on my rifles).
Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by emtrescue6
The easiest and safest way to test the rifle is to do as RR mentioned...take a primed case (now powder, no lead) and attempt to fire the rifle with the lever in the "disengaged" position you mention. I own a pile of lever guns including 2 BLR's and mine do something similar to what you describe but will not fire in that position...as soon as the lever "drops" the rifle won't fire (on my rifles).
I have done it with a primed case. At the point where the trigger is engaged, the bolt is not fully forward. At this point, if the trigger is pulled, hammer falls hitting pin and popping primer. I assume that prior to the trigger engaging, the lugs have fully rotated and locked. The play in the action seemed odd as all of my experience has been with bolt, break and falling block actions which have a defined locked position.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

Yes you are. I was using the wrong terminology when referring to it as the bolt when in reality the part that can be moved is the carrier.
As an FYI, took it to the range this morning, wasn't sure what type of accuracy to expect. Fired 4 - 3 shot groups with different charges, all below 2" with 1 below 1". As a huntin rifle, I'll be happy with consistent 1.5 - 1.75". Thanks for the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.