Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Used S&W Model 10 in .38 or New .357 EAA Windicator?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Used S&W Model 10 in .38 or New .357 EAA Windicator?

I'd like your thoughts on this.

Here are the considerations:

First, I am a member of a religious community and serve in the ministry. They only give us a small budget and I'd be trading in a gun or two or three to get one of these (I've seen both for $275-300). Things like new Smiths and new Rugers are out of the question pricewise.

Second: This gun would have two uses--Because of ministry, I can end up alone a lot, either in rectories or on camping trips. Personal defense is part of the use, less as a carry gun and more something tucked away if trouble shows up. The other use is as a trail gun for hunting, hiking, tin cans and general shooting fun.

Edit: I should add, I do plan to get a a .22 pistol and have a nagant revolver (it might be part of the trade). I'm thinking .357 for versatility but the Model 10s are the right price and I'd probably shoot .38s most of the time anyway.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 01-01-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they are ever back in stock, you can get a Smith and Wesson SW9VE for around 300 bucks. I really like a 9mm.

I've never shot one but I've heard good things about the EAA .357. I'd take a .357 over a 38 anyday of the week but not if the gun was junk.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the quick reply, Colorado Luckydog. I'm pretty sure I want to stick with a revolver.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are happy with a .38, you can not go wrong with a Model 10. I load .38 ammo in a .357 for most purposes.