Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR15 clip size?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default AR15 clip size?

what did the original assault weapon ban actually ban or state?

what's your view on the ideal ar15 clip size?

what's the benefit to a 20 vs 30 vs 40?

assuming you had a couple 5 or 10 round mags, and wanted something larger, which would you get, 20/30/40? I assume 40 is more ideal than the 100+ clips, but feel free to share your thoughts on the 100+ clips, always heard those jam way more than the 40's etc...

also do you a magazine brand preference? stainless? plastic? etc...

what size mag becomes a problem for shooting prone? 20? 30? 40? no problem?

Last edited by salukipv1; 12-21-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well first lets get at what your really asking. What size MAGAZINE, do we find ideal?
A clip is what is used to load a magazine, either in a fixed mag gun like the M1 Garande or a detachable magazine like those found in most other semi-automatic guns.
I like the 20rnd for my mini-14 the best. I can shoot more shells that way. I do have a 5rnd for it, also, but only use that for bench rest shooting.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
Well first lets get at what your really asking. What size MAGAZINE, do we find ideal?
A clip is what is used to load a magazine, either in a fixed mag gun like the M1 Garande or a detachable magazine like those found in most other semi-automatic guns.
I like the 20rnd for my mini-14 the best. I can shoot more shells that way. I do have a 5rnd for it, also, but only use that for bench rest shooting.
Wish I had a $1 for every pushup I had to do for someone calling a magazine a clip.

Always liked the Colt 30 rounders. Have not had any problems with Magpul's either.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

I have 5, 20, 30 and a 100 rounder for my AR's. I perfer the 5 rounder at the range, it is just easier to use on the bench, when shooting prairie dogs I like the 30 rounder, you dont have to reload often. When I am just having fun at the range, I use my M4 with a Beta mag and the slide fire stock. The larger mags have a rep for jaming, if you want a 100 rounder, spend the extra money and get a Beta-C mag, they are destinctive, it is a double drum. The cheaper snail looking drum mags are junk.

Last edited by Jim Burns; 12-21-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can shoot more shells that way
Sconny "shells" are fired from a shotgun. "Rounds of ammunition" are the cartridges fired from center or rimfire arms. But I am not sure if a slug is considered a "shell" or "round."

Thank you for correcting the point regarding clip vs magazine.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
lmao, you bag on a guy for calling a magazine a clip yet you then turn around and call rifle cartridges "shells"...
Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Stay away from large magazines they are a waste of money for the most part. If you looking for good reliable magazine Magpul is my personal choice ive used it for all my tours and have never had alot of issues.remember you cant just leave the MAGs loaded all the time Magazine care and attention will result in longer life span and better reliabality when you need it most.

Good Luck

Niccum
Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use 30rnd magazines for all of my purposes. It comfortably fits a whole box of ammo without over-exerting the spring or stressing the lips. It lets me use one mag for a whole day of calling coyotes. 30rnds is just long enough that it doesn't cause an issue going prone or off the bench with a 9" bipod.

Frankly, this isn't a time to even be having a casual conversation about it. High capacity magazines don't create violent crimes, and they don't facilitate them. Anything that gets spun around right now that could be miscontrued as "shooters debunking the myth that they need high capacity magazines" is not fruitful conversation.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

I prefer 20 round mags...not to heavy, not to bulky and not to lonf.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

I just bought my AR and ordered some 30rd Magpuls. Hope they work well. Everyone I work with suggested those over any others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.