Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thoughts on Ruger American

Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Spike

Default Thoughts on Ruger American

I am thinking about purchasing a Ruger American for my 1st rifle in order to hunt deer in KS.
Looking for thoughts and opinions on this rifle and the type of scope I should purchase with it. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Its a really good affordable gun, you wont go wrong with it. Just dont buy it for a investment, as it will always be just a good ole affordable gun. I have shot them, they shoot great, you cant hurt it, will make you a great first gun. For a scope, you cant go wrong with a Busnelle Elite, very affordable and really good optics.

Good luck!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

I have heard great reviews about it also. Gun companies have really been putting out good quality, affordable, accurate firearms lately. I also suggest taking a look at the Marlin X7 series or a weatherby vanguard. You should go to a gun shop and feel all them in your hands and make the decision!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great rifle if you don't mind the ugly stock. Ruger puts out a fantastic value product.

I'd second the Bushnell Elite 3-9x40mm scope as well. The Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 that my wife has on her .22lr would be my favorite scope of all time if it were only a higher magnification!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've only hear good things.

If I were to buy one, I'd have the barrel hand lapped and put a drop-in trigger in it.

Ruger over builds everything ~ I like that !
Old 01-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Spike

I have both the the Marlin X7 and Ruger American. Both have great accuracy. but the Marlins action is a little smoother so I would give it the edge.