Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Interarms Mark X

Old 11-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Interarms Mark X

I bought a Mark X Mauser 30-06 that was made back 30 or so years ago. It did not appear to have been fired. I have fired 6 or 8 rounds thru it. I did not observe anything in the barrel before I shot it--I did look, in fact I ran a patch or two thru it. There is some sort of substance coating the bore in the first 6 inches or so from the chamber. It does not come out with Hoppe's #9 unless I use a bronze brush on it. I have about wore one brush out trying to get rid of whatever it is, it just seems to dirty the oiled patch after brushing. The gun is very accurate, so it does not seem to hurt anything, but I like a nice clean bore. The rest of the bore is pristine. What could this be? It does not appear to be rust but maybe that is what it is. It appears that there was a thin coating on the first few inches of bore and it dried out over the years and Hoppe's does not cut it. Any ideas?? Thanks.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Jenks,
My guess would be that its cosmoline! And from the few Mark X actions that I have seen to include a Parker Hale .30-06 there apparently was no shortage of it in Yugoslavia where they were built. The last Mark X I purchased was just the action that I later went on to build a custom rifle; it was thick with cosmoline. It took me using gasoline and a brass brush to clean it out. I suppose over the course of time it could stain the metal. I love those actions. Heavy but dependable.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, DROX. I did not think of that. I will plug the barrel and fill it with gas for a little while and see if that will cut it. I also have a weakness for the '98 Mauser action. The ones that Interarms got from Yugoslavia(sp?) seem to be well made. This one was not a high dollar unit, but has good metal work on a cheap stock. I will use it for hunting so I am not too particular. Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Brake cleaner works great for stripping cosmoline off as well. I didn't notice too much of it on my 798, but it was from dealer demo stock, supposedly. My only gripe with it, was the roughness of the action, due to machinework. I lapped it, and it has improved. Really nice blue job on it though. Great price for a 375!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I finally taped the end of the barrel and let some gasoline soak the bore for an hour or so, I ran a brass brush down it every now and then too. The gas did soften the cosmoline so that I get more out when I brush it with Hoppe's now. I may have to soak it for a day or two to get it really softened up or find some brake cleaner like Streetglideok says. Firing those few rounds must have toasted it. I am supprised that it did not remove it like leading is removed by firing a jacketed bullet. Thanks for the info, I will keep working on it.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been on the internet and found that they do not recommend working with gasoline, it is too dangerous, too easy to get on fire. They say that paint thinner(mineral spirits) will be safer and a little better at disolving the cosmoline. Wear some plastic gloves, the kind that solvents don't melt and eye protection. To the paint store then.