Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.375 h&h

Old 10-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Spike

Default .375 h&h

Which company makes the most reasonably priced rifle in a wood stock for this cartridge?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Define reasonable? You can fetch new winchester M70's for $1100 for their safari model easily, and some of their other versions may go for less. Brownings, $850-$1000, Remingtons, well that depends. If you hunt around, you can find a Remington model 798 cheap. Its an actual mauser rifle, with a wood stock by Remington that they imported for a few years. I fetched my 375H&H for $450 or so new, but some are pushing them for $6-800.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had a few .375 rifles. The new Winchester is the only one that I have ever had that did not need to have something done to it before I took it hunting. I took mine to Africa last trip and all I had to do to get it ready was adjust the trigger (easily done) to my liking.

My first .375 H&H was a old Mauser action with everything else added - it was heavy and by the end of the day it was expensive. My second was a Whitworth. It was pretty rough but turned out OK. A used Whitworth or a Rem 798 (same action) is a good place to start but you will probably spend a few bucks after the purchase. You might end up spending some cash on a trigger, bedding, crossbolts, iron sights, recoil pad, and maybe some feeding issues that need to be ironed out.

Don't overlook the Ruger Hawkeye in .375 Ruger. The price is right and the rifle/cartridge have a lot going for them. I really like mine. The beltless cartridge feeds great. The rifle is light weight for a .375, so it is nice to carry but the factory model is much improved by adding an aftermarket recoil pad.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 10-19-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

CZ also offers some very nice looking, reasonably priced, "traditional safari style" rifles in the Grand Dame 375 cal!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can end up with some additional outlay on these models too, but the result is a good rifle that is ready to hunt. The Grade 1 is what I would have done to one before packing it in my rifle case. I have seen the CZ quite a bit, but I think most of them had replaced the set trigger before use for DG.

http://www.hunting-rifles.com/CZ/CZowners.htm
Old 10-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Spike

cz .