Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need suggestions......

Old 09-08-2003, 08:29 PM

Default Need suggestions......

I am bored and in need of a new gun/project. I am open to most anything, with the following criteria.

Don' t really have a need for a magnum, I shoot too much, I would just mess up the barrel.

Other than that, I am open to whatever. Lever, Bolt. Any caliber. I am not going to spend more than, say 700-800 dollars on the whole thing. So, if you have any recommendations, let me know!
Old 09-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need suggestions......

have you considered getting an old bolt action military mauser and sporterizing it ??

or getting an old lever rifle and upgrading it to a high grade ( fancy wood or an all weather laminate , , rich blueing or parkerized finish , maybe even a new barrel in a wildcat caliber made for a lever action , etc... )

the list could go on and on , can you be more specific ???
Old 09-08-2003, 10:56 PM

How ' bout one of those Pennsylvania blackpowder rifles. You know, the one Davy Crockett used that is about 3/4 mile long and the pretty full length wood stock? Buy the kit and build it.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:11 AM

what about a 35whelen or 8mm-06?
Old 09-09-2003, 07:18 AM

Based on your username I am going to guess you like big bores. Have you considered a .376 Steyr on a Mauser action? Plenty of big bore performance but not what is normally considered " magnum velocity" . It is however a very effective cartridge even without the excessive velocity and resultant wear on the barrel. It is beginning to garner a following with African professionals! (Needless to say a very effective cartridge on all of the largest North American game....and with some savy reloading a great " reduced" load cartridge for smaller American game. Great killing power without all of the bloodshot meat!)

P.S. I may have one of these in my very near future!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:15 AM

Those are all ideas I had not even thought about! I am going to look into all of those, because they all sound like awesome guns and might be fun to hunt with. Do any of you have any experience hunting with one of them?
Old 09-09-2003, 09:35 AM

I haven' t hunted with the .376 Steyr yet. But here are a few of the sites with information I have found concerning it:

http://www.african-hunter.com/the__376_steyr.htm

www.chuckhawks.com from this site go to Rifle Cartridges and look
for .376 Steyr

also there is information to be found at Google.com under " .376 Steyr"

Hornady factory loads for this cartridge, so cases and ammo are available. There is also a very good selection of .375 bullets for the reloader. The .376 Steyr provides near .375 H&H performance from a standard length action. And should be a very good " Dangerous Game" gun in a Mauser action. Of course it would be no problem at all to develop reduced loads for any medium sized game in the Americas. (And with a well shaped bullet " ie. 250 grain Sierra or a 260 Nosler should be fairly flat shooting for all medium game. Speer also makes a 235 grain semi-spitzer that could be used to work a good " deer" load.)

Lots of possibilities!
Old 09-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m reading a book " Building double rifles on Shotgun Actions"

Now there' s a project!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

if i had money to spend id definently invest it into a good mauser action and build a gun off of it in a great caliber for what i want to do and make a beautiful tackdriver....but being 16 i rather save for a truck.....but then again i also already have half of my dream gun....i just dont like the barrel and id like it in a diffrent caliber.....not that i dont love the 3006 or anything...
Old 09-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

bigbore,
the .35 whelen is an excellent round , and it will handle all of north america' s big game if loaded properly , some here say that it kicks but , my whelen a remington model 700 classic doesn' t seem to kick at all , in fact my ' 06 gives a stiffer push in my opinion.

another good round would be the .338-06

or you could go all the way wildcat and go for a .400 whelen,
i think rcbs even makes dies for it ( but don' t quote me on that ) , it' s a .40 caliber based on the ' 06 shell , it' s not a magnum but will be enough gun for north american game

Quick Reply: Need suggestions......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.