Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SCOPE MOUNTING

Old 09-07-2003, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default SCOPE MOUNTING

When I mount a scope on a rifle, I am sure by all means it is plumb, and level, as this left hander can make it. Shooting it in bears this out. BUT when a right hander picks up my rifle to shoot he says ' hey your scope is crooked' . I am sure this is some kind of optical anomaly but it puzzels the heck out of me why this diff occurs between mounting for a lefty and mounting for a righty. If I mount the scope as if I was right handed, then it appears crooked when I switch the gun to my left shoulder. Any suggestions from you physics students out there???
Old 09-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SCOPE MOUNTING

I mount my scopes with my gun in a gun cradle so I can be sure that it is perfectly vertical.In this way the scope is mounted true.When you are holding the gun to your shoulder you may be inadvertantly tilting it.If the scope is mounted true you will see for sure if you are holding it square while on your shoulder as the crosshairs will appear tilted if the rifle is being tilted.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

um, I use a gun cradle, that insures that the mounting IS plumb and level. This ' crooked effect' still occurs. I have crosshairs on my wall to insure this also and use a square to make sure the gunstock is mounted in the cradle properly. Thanks for your help though.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Segway Recticle Leveler which takes all the guess work out for me. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a rectcial leveler also...