Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

3-1/2" 20ga!!!! WOW!!!!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 3-1/2" 20ga!!!! WOW!!!!

I just got to shoot a buddies 3-1/2" 20ga last night and it is a sweet shootn iron!!!!!!!! It is an H&R 980 in 20ga just with a 3-1/2" chamber. You can still shoot 2-3/4" and 3" and now 3-1/2" as well. The barrel and rounds are made by Hastings.
I saw this weapon previewed several years ago by a gun product developer/tester by the name of L.P. Brezny in one of the magazines I get. He developed the weapon to get a super velocity and energy round. He got it!! It propels a 15/16ths oz lead sabot round at 2000fps with 3800ft lbs of energy at the muzzle!!!!!!! Brezny took an American Bison with the prototype and shot it at approx. 150yds to only see the others mill around and his target animal just stand there to only just lower its head a bit. Upon watching for 20 minutes they approached the bison to find it was standing stone cold dead!!! Legs locked!!!
The owner, partner and son have take over 50 deer and have yet to shoot one twice. Only 3 have taken more than a step after being hit out to 187yds, with laser range finder, and none over 3 steps. Recoil out of the gun is like shooting 20 field rounds. He just bought a 3rd one and another 5 cases of rounds to last them all of their shooting days.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Spike

Very interesting. Most of us have never heard of such a thing. Might make a very good bear gun for Alaska if a double barrel version was available. I mean someone with a cabin in the country could keep something like that up on the wall loaded over the doorway and ready. And take it with them doing chores outside.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

was such a overkill it never really sold.......3" 20ga. is more then enough !!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

i hate shooting 3 inch slugs out of 20's and 12's. I bet shooting a 3 1/2 would be pretty miserable after about 10 shots. i feel like it would make a good bear gun though.

Last edited by huntingkidPA; 09-22-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Savage 210F

I have been shooting the 210F for over a decade. It is very accurate and I trust it completely. When I first got it, I tried both
2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. They both grouped well but, I saw no reason to punish myself without seeing if the smaller shells did the job. I have never looked back.

From what I have read, the 3 inch 20 gauge will do the job. Why punish yourself with more recoil when the deer will be just as dead with the 3 inch shells. Once the bullets leaves the opposite side of the body, nothing more is being accomplished. The distances at which most people hunt with shotguns does not stretch the range of the 3 inch shells either.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
i hate shooting 3 inch slugs out of 20's and 12's. I bet shooting a 3 1/2 would be pretty miserable after about 10 shots. i feel like it would make a good bear gun though.
Recoil is not what you would think. It is rather tolerable, considering the weight of a 980 to start with. It felt like shooting a regular 20ga slug. Good bear gun for sure!!! End to end!!!!!!