Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for new 30 cal

Old 06-17-2012, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
because there are better options
RR
RidgeRunner,please list a few,i'm looking to pickup a new rifle.
Mainly gonna be used for whitetail but might get an elk hunt in.

Thanks
Jerry
Old 06-17-2012, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

RR,what's your opinion on 6.5x55,260rem. & the 7mm08? Take into consideration that all of my shots will be 300yds. or less
Old 06-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

jerry d---If I might add my thoughts, I'd go with the 7mm08 or up to a 30-06. Either one would be the perfect whitetail rifle like you are looking for. The latter would probably be the better for elk, but a good bullet in the 7mm08 would also do the job if you cut the distance a little.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Topgun & RR thanks!! I'm fixing to retire in 3 weeks and a new rifle is gonna be my retirement present to myself. The older i get,the less i like recoil. Thanks for the input fellas.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

bugs, i totally agree with you on the 300 H&H. it will do the job.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jerry d,I recently bought myself a Savage 7mm-08 GCNS Model 111 Wood Stock Bolt-Action and its a great shooting gun with less recoil and I love it.I hunted many years with a Remington 30-06 and wanted something eariser on recoil....I first bought a Browning A-Bolt Hunter in a .243 and put down several nice Deer with it in the past 6 years,then I decided to get something with more knock-down power and still easy on recoil so the 7mm-08 was reccomended and I checked out the Recoil Charts to see what my Options were.

If You have a Bolt-Action Rifle You can also buy the Remington Managed Recoil Shells and tame down an exisiting Rifle like a 30-06 and whatever else Remington carries in their line of Managed Recoil Shells?Oh yeah....even the 7mm-08 has a managed recoil shell for it too.I sighted in an older Remington Bolt-Action 30-06 I bought from a Relative that needed some cash and used the Managed Recoil shells and it kicked like a .243 Rifle,I was very impressed and had clover-leaf group of 3 shots at 100 yards...just imagine shooting a 30-06 with very little recoil.

www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Last edited by GTOHunter; 06-18-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
Jerry d,I recently bought myself a Savage 7mm-08 GCNS Model 111 Wood Stock Bolt-Action and its a great shooting gun with less recoil and I love it.I hunted many years with a Remington 30-06 and wanted something eariser on recoil....I first bought a Browning A-Bolt Hunter in a .243 and put down several nice Deer with it in the past 6 years,then I decided to get something with more knock-down power and still easy on recoil so the 7mm-08 was reccomended and I checked out the Recoil Charts to see what my Options were.

If You have a Bolt-Action Rifle You can also buy the Remington Managed Recoil Shells and tame down an exisiting Rifle like a 30-06 and whatever else Remington carries in their line of Managed Recoil Shells?Oh yeah....even the 7mm-08 has a managed recoil shell for it too.I sighted in an older Remington Bolt-Action 30-06 I bought from a Relative that needed some cash and used the Managed Recoil shells and it kicked like a .243 Rifle,I was very impressed and had clover-leaf group of 3 shots at 100 yards...just imagine shooting a 30-06 with very little recoil.

www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Same deal with me GTO, i hunted with a 06 for many years.About 4 years ago i sold it and bought a 243.But now i'm gonna retire and want to do an elk hunt. I'm not comfortable taking the 243 on that hunt but i dont want a dedicated elk rifle either{it might be the only elk hunt i'll ever do}. The older i get the less i like recoil ! So i'm between the 270,7-08 & 308.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Jerry I come from a 270 win family trust me when I say it kills elk dead. Over 40 head of bulls in my family from a 270 win not one elk ever got away. I've killed a handful of bulls with my 300 win mag and I have yet to see a difference up to 600yards that would of decided the kill. The 7mm-08 and the 308 win would be great choices also. It truly boils down to shot placement.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
a 30/06 with very little recoil is a 30/30, why buy a rifle and then buy purposely downloaded ammo to the same ballistics as a less expensive, less powerful round?
RR
"I don't want recoil but I want to hunt big game" is like saying "I want to drive a sub-10 second quarter mile but I want to get 40 miles per gallon doing it". The two aren't necessarily going to go together.

I'm not a big fan of recoil, either. I notice it most when I'm shooting at the rifle range. I can't ever remember it when I'm shooting at an animal. Either way, I deal with it. It's a condition of what I enjoy doing. Kind of like bugs and camping.

I've killed elk with a .243, a .308, a .30-06, a .300 Wby, and a .375 H&H. The .308 worked every bit as well as the .30-06. Using the .243 is admittedly a bit "iffy". I don't own one, but I know people who really like the 7mm-08 for elk. It's probably the minimum caliber I'd recommend, but it's perfectly capable - and it's probably very forgiving, recoil-wise.

When are we all going to come to grips with recoil? I feel like some of us ought to be getting flowers for our birthdays instead of a new pair of hunting boots? I mean, get a grip here people.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

My next birthday will be the big 70, my shoulders don't need a hard-kicking rifle. Saying that, I shoot a bolt-action 30-06. If it did not have a Limbsaver on it, I would shoot something with less recoil, but a 30-06 really doesn't kick bad when compared with some of the calibers mentioned. I can shoot it all day without a problem. The '06 is a very versatile caliber, it will take anything North America offers, and the 400 yd. shot is not out of the question with a decent gun and scope, but I don't shoot at game that far away. It probably has a wider choice in ammo then any other caliber and it is sold most everywhere and a lot cheaper then some of the others mentioned. Obviously, I am a 30-06 fan, I also use a 30-30 on deer close-in.