Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Finally ready to buy a nice varmint/target rifle!

Old 09-01-2003, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally ready to buy a nice varmint/target rifle!

Well, I' ve been saving my money for awhile and I' ve got enough to buy and outfit a decent rifle. I' ve decided to get rid of my " eastern bloc" third-world cheapo rifles and consolidate to nicer quality guns that are capable of better than " spray-n-pray" accuracy. So the Mosin/Nagant M44 carbine and sporterized SKS are also being traded in toward a new CF bolt-action rifle.

Anyway, I wanted to run my choices by you guys to see if I missed anything or if you guys (and gals, too) had any better suggestions. I' ve done a good bit of research, but when it comes to CF rifles I' m far from an expert on the topic. To give you a bit of background on my choices; the rifle I' m getting is for benchrest target shooting (sub-MOA accuracy), a " guinea pig" gun so I can learn how to work up precision handloads, and also as a varmint/predator gun for shooting coyote, groundhog, and maybe the occational crow and pigeon on the ground. The farm and public lands I' d be calling coyote on would offer the possibility of 400-500 yard shots if I really wanted to dial long-distance.

With that in mind here' s what I' m thinking about getting:

Savage 12BVSS in .243 Winchester with the sweet " Accu-trigger." I know that the .243 is a little much for smaller varmints (red mist and a memory, but dead is dead, right? The hawks gotta eat too.), but superior ballistics and versatility of the .243 appealed to me over the .224 caliber guns like the .22-250 or .223.

Bushnell Elite 3200, or maybe 4200 if I wait a month and save a little more, in either 4-12X40 AOor 6-18X40 AO. The 6-18X40 would be better for shooting paper, but the 4-12X40 would be favorable in the event of a closer shot on a coyote. I also haven' t decided whether I want the standard duplex reticle or the mil. dot reticle. The mil. dot reticle is appealing for its range estimating capabilities and for estimating lead or windage quickly.

I haven' t decided on bases yet, but for the rings I' m considering the " Signature Series" rings buy Burris (I think). I' ve heard really good things about them. This would be the first scope I' m going to have professionally mounted and boresighted. I' ve mounted scopes on my ML' s before but I' ve never expected them to shoot sub-MOA accuracy.

I' ll probably also put a Harris Bipod on it. Actually, I might eventually get two bipods. One shorter bipod for shooting on the bench and one longer legged version for sitting shots on the field. I haven' t decided for sure on the short bipod or a really nice benchrest or vise.

I' m also going to finally invest in a reloading setup. I' ve decided on the Rockchucker Master Kit to get started. For dies for the .243 I think I' m just going to spend the extra cash now and get the Redding Competition dies. I know that if I don' t get them now I' ll end up buying them later and spending twice. I' d like to have two different loads worked up for the .243. One light recoiling target load (I' d like to try A-Max bullets) and a hard hitting varmint/predator load. I' m also going to handload .45ACP for my Glock, since I' ve been getting the itch to try action pistol competition. Handloading pistol ammo would make competition cheap enough to try out, and just let me shoot a lot more.

That' s about all I can think of, but if you guys have any suggestions I' d be happy to hear them.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-02-2003, 05:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-02-2003, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finally ready to buy a nice varmint/target rifle!

Remington VS chambered in 22-250
Old 09-02-2003, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

My choice would be Remington 700 VSSF .22-250......and it was Great gun!
Old 09-02-2003, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I went out and bought my new rifle today. I got a pretty good deal on a new Ruger M77 Mk II Varmint/Target version in .22-250. The good news was that he had the gun on sale for $560, the bad news is that the reason he has his guns marked down is because he' s going out of business.[:@][:' (] He was the last decent " gun store" we had in my area. I really don' t like buying guns from the big chain stores like Scheels and Gander Mountain. His was a no frills real-deal gun store. He sells guns and gun related stuff and little else, and he knows what the heck he' s talking about. But his partner decided to get out and he can' t afford to buy his share himself and can' t find a new investor, so he' s got to close the store to pay his parter off. Really a shame. [:' (]

But anyway, my new rifle is a Ruger M77MkII. I' ve had my eye on this gun for awhile, but it was always more than the Savage target guns. With the sale it cost me about $30 less than the Savage 12BVSS and like all Rugers it comes with rings, so another $50-75 saved. I also decided to go ahead and get a top-line target scope. He had a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20X44 AO scope on sale too, so I had him put that on the gun and it' s ready to go to the range for breakin and zeroing. My next investment will be the reloading kit, but the extra cost of the scope will delay that purchase a little. Figured it was better to spend the money on really good glass, and the deal couldn' t be passed up.

So so I' m watching the second hand and waiting for the weekend so I can take it to the range!

Mike
Old 09-02-2003, 09:39 PM

Driftrider, I think you will be more than satisfied with the performance of the Ruger Mark II VT. I have a pair of them, one in .223 and one in 22-250. They are both excellent shooters with handloaded Nosler BT' s. I feel this particular rifle is extremely overlooked by varmint and/or target shooters. The gun comes with a great trigger, nice heavy beavertail forend stock that settles into a bag nicely, stainless action and barrel and the included scope rings which require no bases. Mine are not " one hole" rifles by any means but they are capable of sub 1/2" groups @ 100 yds. with the right loads. Anybody who chooses to not give these guns a chance is passing up a great gun at a great price! Congrats on your purchase, sounds like you have the makings for a great setup!
Old 09-02-2003, 11:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good deal. I think you will love the 22-250. I love mine. I have the Remington 700 ADL synthetic with a 4x12 Bushnell Trophy model. I have not shot it to much yet but it shoots the hornady 60 grain spire point very well. I have some 50 grain sierra spire points that I have been using in my 223 that I will try in it but I will stay with the heavier bullets in that gun and load the 45 and 50 grainers in my 223. I had a Savage heavy barrel varmit in 223 that shot very very well but the damn thing was so heavy that I couldn,t carry the thing very far. Bad shoulder.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

My friend that I woodchuck hunt with shoots a Remington Sendero in the 25-06 and 700+ yard shots are not uncomon and he " tags" one every now and then...[]
Old 09-03-2003, 09:04 PM

You will love the 22.250. My choice is your first choice in the Savage. The Accu-trigger is the cats A$$. I' m glad to see you went 22-250 vs the .243. In Iowa, you can' t hunt deer with it anyway and thats the only real reason that I see to take a .243 over the .22-250, is for deer. Distance will not be a problem for you either with that one. Enjoy. GO HAWKS!!!! (Former Iowa boy myself)
Old 09-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Driftrider, You made a good choice buying the Ruger M-77 VT.Sorry to hear that local gun shop is closing up.It' s a shame he can' t find another partner instead of closing the doors.Good luck with your new Ruger.By the way you got a very good price on it.
Ruger Redhawk