Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Roberts

Old 09-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default New Roberts

I picked up my new 257 Roberts off layawy today It is the 700 Remington ADL synthetic. They put a 3x9 Luepold scope on it and bore sighted it for me. I picked up one box of factory loads Federal +p shells loaded with 120 grain Nosler partitions. I also bought two boxes of Nosler ballistic tips 100 and 115. and a box of 100 Barnes X bullets. I have a couple hundred 100 grain Reming spire points left over and some 75 grain hollow points for vermits. I didn' t have time to shoot it today but I was suprised at the good trigger out of the box. No creep what so ever and it feel like about 4 lbs of pull. I really like the 25 caliber as a combo deer and varmit round. I like it much better than the 243' s of which I have had several. I shoot a 250-3000 as well and have had a 25-06 in the past. A friend of mine who past away a few years back hunted deer , antalope ,elk and sheep with an old remington bolt gun in 257 Roberts and though its a little light for elk, he had no problems with it. It was the only rifle he had. Can,t wait to get started shooting it and working up loads. I have had the reloading stuff for years as I always loaded for the guy mentioned above.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Roberts

i didn' t know they offered the adl in .257 roberts , is this a limited edition or something like that ???
don' t forget to let us know how she handles
and congratulations on your new rifle
Old 09-02-2003, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the quarterbores! I have a 25.06 and i wouldn' t take nothing for it. Loaded with the right bullet it kills deer like lighting and has some devastating effects on varmits.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

James B - You have made an excellent choice! The .257 Roberts is close to the perfect deer cartridge, and it' s recoil is so slight that you should be able to wring out every last bit of accuracy from your new rifle.

If more people understood, like you, that one simply doesn' t need a 30-cal rifle or a 7mm mag to kill a deer, we would all be better off and the ammo companies would be forced to start offering some good loadings for these lighter rounds.

Personally, I like the 6.5mm Swede and the .260 Rem for deer, but congratulations are still in order! The Roberts is one of the great cartridges of all time! Enjoy!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

The salesman thought that the 257 was a small run made in 2001. I was happy to find one. I will be watching for a good deal on a 25-o6 soon as well. I also love the old swede and I have one that I sporterized and changed the trigger on. It still has the milatary stock but I am going to get a synthetic stock for it as the old stock has developed a crack right behind the tang. I have shot many many deer with the 6.5x55.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:25 AM

I took my first whitetail with a .257 Roberts. A great caliber. I just wish H&R/NEF would make one. I did find a VERY expensive double gun in .257. I think it was a Ruger but don' t remember now. When I saw the $3000 price tag I almost forgot how to breath. Let us know how she shoots.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Good Choice! I have a 257 R in a Ruger Lightweight. Perfect deer cal. Mine does a very nice job with the 120 grain Noslers.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

A RUGER double rifle?? I wish!![]
Old 09-02-2003, 03:15 PM

I thought it was a Ruger, but I may be wrong. Anyone have suggestions on what it might have been? Very nice engraving. The dealer didn' t know much about it- other than it was a unique rifle and VERY expensive.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Perhaps it was a Rigby.

Quick Reply: New Roberts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.