Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Problems sighting In My T/C Encore

Old 09-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Problems sighting In My T/C Encore

Would anyone have any advise on how to solve this problem I’m having with my new 7mm Rem. Mag T/C Encore with a new Leupold 3x9x50mm scope.

This weekend is the first time I’ve gone to the range to sigh it in. On Sunday I had some old reloaded shell to shoot. This was just to get it close on the paper but couldn’t believe that I couldn’t get a group. Frustrated at my attempt on Saturday I returned Monday morning. I was shooting Remington factory shells and was getting groups from 1” to 3” at 100 yds. I’ve had better success with my Remington 700.

While I was at the range a member of the gun club came over and asked me how the rifle was shooting. When I mentioned about my situation he said he had the same problem with his T/C Encore and ended up getting rid of it. I have no intentions of selling my rifle at this moment but the grouping is not except able. I know that reloading different bullets will react different but I don’t think that I should get a 3” group with factory shells. Would any one have any suggestion on how I could resolve this problem and does Thompson Arms have problems with there barrels?

Thanks for any advise in advance.ˇ
Old 09-02-2003, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Problems sighting In My T/C Encore

Check the screws on the forearm and make sure they are not " super tight" ! I had the same problem with a 25-06 barrel and friend said just keep the screws snug and it worked. Now it shoots like a dream...

I also had a trigger job done on my Encore,now it' s set at 2.5lb. and that tightened up my groups! Good Luck...
Old 09-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was hoping someone could help me out but I guess not....I guess I just got stuck with a lemon... The barrel is going back to Thompson Arms... That’s the only part I can send across the border with out any problems with customs...Hopefully they can fix the problem or send me a new barrel ???

Thanks Pajack for the advise but I checked the screws and they were good, not to tight.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:54 PM

I have great advise for you and I bet you see better groups instantly. Buy different shells. Remington shells have always shot bad groups out of my guns, and if I change to Winchester or Federal, groups, almost as if by magic. Don' t believe me? Try it out!!
Old 09-14-2003, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Belle44, thanks for the advise but I reload my own ammo. I had just used Remington bullets to use them up. I was then going to reload some Barnes, Hornady or Sierra bullets to see which would give me the best group. Maybe I should have reloaded some shells before bringing my rifle back.

As for my problem, someone told me it was the hinge pin but that doesn’t make any sense. The barrel and the scope are as one so what the heck does the pin have to do with this problem. I still think it’s the barrel...I returned the gun back to where I purchased it from. They have contacted Thompson Arms and I will find out Tuesday what they said. Thanks again..