Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A noticed trend

Old 04-27-2012, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blackelk, that's a very good post and I agree.

Homers Brother, your post is just amazing. I'll leave it at that.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Now you're a better hunter because you don't shoot a magnum??? LMFAO!!

I've killed 4 bulls that if you added up the total distance of all 4 shots it would be less than 100 yards. My longest kill on an elk was 175 yards with a 30.06.

If I had to give up every kind of hunting but one, I'd put the rifle down and do it with my Bowtech.

I like getting close but still like to carry a magnum.

You guys have no idea how stupid you sound when you bash other guys for the way they hunt or the tool they choose to do it with.
I have several magnum rifles for your info, I just have no use to hunt with them.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Blackelk, that's a very good post and I agree.

Homers Brother, your post is just amazing. I'll leave it at that.
Nice, you want to trash talk me but when Blackelk says pretty much the same you praise him. Nice! Maybe you can tell me were in my post did I talk crap about magnum rifles, my favorite rifle is a Remington 700BDL 338 mag. I just dont hunt with it. I stated idiots who have to sling lead at 500+ yards in order to kill game are not hunters, if that offends you I guess you fit the criteria.

Well at least you shoot a good bow.

Last edited by fritz1; 04-27-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Spike

Why use a smaller caliber? alot of new magnums are stainless and don't rust, and can be alot lighter,
Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

By that token, why not just buy a newer gun in a smaller caliber that is SS? I'm not following your logic here.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Guys that let deer get close and still gut shoot them or blow a leg off or worse shoot deer in face so they save meat, like the 30 caliber hole they would put in the neck will cause their family to starve over a winter, are not hunters either. IE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2VZSedWb8s or deer with arrows stuck in them and gangrene filled bodies ruining another guys hunt. These animals are left to slowly starve to death, suffer horribly or never recovered. More d-bags hunt close cause it's easier. And with mot-o's like "If it's brown, it's down!" It flies it dies, it runs it's done, Or don't worry the mexican air force (buzzards) will track it down. Those are real classy hunters your backing.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I don't condemn anyone for what they shoot or how far they shoot it, I use the high intensity cartridges because they are the best tool for what I do. but the truth is, if you don't shoot game beyond 300 yards, a standard cartridge will do the job just as well as any, maybe better.
I shoot game at extreme range simply because I got bored shooting them close, there is nothing IMO like the feeling you get during that 1+ second when your watching through the scope to see whether you hit where you calculated the bullet to go.
fritz, call me an idiot if you wish, makes no difference to me, I know what I can do and stay within those parameters, if the thrill is getting close for some, go for it, I just march to the beat of a different drum. the main thing we strive for is to legaly enjoy the sport of hunting, and thats what I do.
RR
That
-Jake
Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
I stated idiots who have to sling lead at 500+ yards in order to kill game are not hunters, if that offends you I guess you fit the criteria.
Fritz, I'm not going to argue on this with you anymore. I know you are a good dude but you are stubborn on this subject.

RidgeRunner is not an idiot and I'd bet $1000 bucks that if he lived next door to you, you guys would be buds.

I know that there are magnum owners that can't shoot them for chit. There are also .270 owners that couldn't hit the barn wall from inside the barn.

"the main thing we strive for is to legaly enjoy the sport of hunting, and thats what I do."
Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
...No the worst trend out there today is not the caliber choice it's the simple fact that not that many hunters use a caliber enough to know the trajectories or the personal feel of the rifle, trigger and useage of the optics. That is the bad trend not the caliber size.
Although I agree, I'd be inclined to suggest that the trend doesn't stop there. It often results in a propensity to use money to switch the equipment, rather than use time and patience to address the lack of familiarity on the part of the shooter.

Originally Posted by Blackelk
...That's a whole other world and equipment set up.
It certainly is. However, the fundamentals of marksmanship (and that sane "familiarity") remain no less a requirement, in fact moreso.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Partly I think people just want to have different rifles. They want new toys. I like to hunt elk. My .30-06 has been pretty successful so far, killing the elk I shoot at with one shot. Even so . . . I have a hankering to get a .338 winchester magnum. Do I need it? No. Would I stand down from an elk hunt because I could only take my .30-06? Certainly not. Do I still want it? Yes. But I don't want it fiercly, I don't want it enough to forgo other activities -- I wouldn't skip an opportunity to go elk hunting one season and redirect the money to the rifle.

I think it is that people want new toys. Simple motivation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.