Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New guns ??

Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default New guns ??

I recently just purchased two Weatherby Mark V rifles. A 460 magnum and a 375 H & H magnum. My question is this. I've been told by the dealer that I can't use a Burris Eliminator scope on these guns because they're to low and I would rip my nuckles off trying to load them.

Does anyone here have either of these rifles and what scopes are you using? Any info I would appreciate.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me like all you would need to do (maybe) is use higher rings to accommodate that Burris or whatever scope you want.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Best thing to do is contact Burris...................
Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

I've seen two of them at the range, one on a savage and one on a remmy and neither guy had a issue i could see. And one guy had some pretty big fingers.

Last edited by stapher1; 04-23-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

I did contact Burris. The guy at their customer service is really not to knowedgeable in my opinion. But I'm going to try them again.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default Optics

The Eliminator is made to be mounted low and requires Burris' proprietary mounts to be mounted. You end up with a Picatinny rail for the base. However, you would not want to use this scope on the 460 as it has only 3.0-3.5" of eye relief & with the recoil generated by the 460 you would get tagged in the eyebrow. The recoil generated by the 375 would be enough the the limited eye relief would still pose the same problem. I would look to scopes with near 5.0" of eye relief. I've seen 1 460 fired with a muzzlebrake and recoil still appeared pretty excessive to me & the muzzle blast nearly took the tin roof off of the firing line. But with all that said I believe you can mount the scope if Burris offers the needed base for the Mark V which I'm sure they do. Your bolt lift is only 54 degrees so you will have no trouble with bolt handle clearance and loading would be impeded by the scope mounting rail but not impossible.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might have a hard time holding the scope in position with the 460. My buddies 378 keeps shifting the scope because of the recoil. The 375 shouldn't be a problem. Enjoy your new toys.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are not satisfied with the answer from "one" of the people you spoke to at Burris, ask to speak to someone else.

I would be concerned about the eye relief also........ another question I would ask them.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Well, just an update...both my Mark V's got here in late September. The 460 and the 375 look to be great guns. I haven't had a chance to site them in. Been too busy. And of course now I have snow. So it will have to wait till Spring. And I wound up putting Leupold scopes on them. VX3 2.5-8 x 36 on both. I'm starting to lift weights and have energy drinks to save me on that 460, because next year in the fall I'm going for Brown Bear.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Having trouble getting underneath the Burris Eliminators isn't anything unique to your rifles. It's a huge fat body, and it's set very low. There are always ways around that (custom pic-blocks that raise the scope higher).

Assuming you're using this for DG, you'll want to be able to reload a little faster and easier, so my opinion would be to get custom blocks.

As for recoil, they really aren't as bad as guys think, and with practice, a shooter can learn how to manage the recoil with ease. Then again, there's no place for pride. These rifles will kick like he11, so swallow your pride and add a recoil reducer and a REAL recoil pad.

I have also had good luck with some of these football undershirts they have out there now. Google "rawlings zoombang" and you'll find the ones I use. They're basically an under armour compression type shirt with integrated impact reactive gel pads, really special stuff. Get one that covers the butt of your rifle and you're set.