Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR Type Firearms

Old 04-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default AR Type Firearms

Does anyone know a good book on the AR Type Firearms. I want to buy one before the election, but I want to make a well informed choice. Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is the internet.....................

This might be of some help.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos...ode-1001365362

.........and of course, once you are able to formulate well posed questions: ask away on forums like this.

Last edited by Sheridan; 04-10-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could spend the rest of your life at researching AR guns.Just decide what you want it for along with caliber and sights go and work from there.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

There's too many choices for one book to cover them all. Just buy a couple lowers and go from there...
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Typical Buck

Might be another good year for the men who sale guns. LOL
Old 04-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out m4carbine.net. Lots of good info on the net.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

AR15.com is a great place too.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by RIStrutStopper
Check out m4carbine.net. Lots of good info on the net.
+1 on that

Also it would help if you googled the ar-15 chart. it has a breakdown of all the different features offered. I reccomend a Daniel Defense for 5.56 and if you want a .308 LMT.

Remember you get what you pay for. if you buy a cheaper rifle then you will probably be happy if you only shoot a couple hundred rounds a year. If you shoot more then you will notice the difference. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best advice I could give about the AR-15 is to buy a used one in just about any format that suits your fancy, and in a brand that will keep a good resale value (buying an AR-15 used then selling it for the same price a year later isn't uncommon), the once you're familiar with the system, sell the factory jobber and build your own. You'll learn what you need/want out of an AR after a few short months with one of your own, and once you see how easy they are to build, you'll be able to REALLY save yourself some money on a home brew. The only thing I worry about being "top shelf quality" for AR's are the barrels and triggers, the rest, you can skimp on or splurge for depending on your own personal taste. In general you can build a top of the line AR-15 for about the same price as you'd pay new for a factory "standard" model, depending on how fancy you get with all of your components (thoseTiNi coated bolt carriers set me back a lot, but dang they look good).

Like others have mentioned, you really need a direction for your weapon before you choose which AR to get. Are you wanting some tricked out "tacticool" marvel, or a barebones "strictly stock"? Are you looking for high volume shooting, or precision work? Hunting big game, or small game, or just beer cans?

One thing that I enjoy the most out of any AR, and what I wish I had on all of mine, is custom paint. Black rifles all look the same, but I tell you, the first time I saw an AR-15 sporting a snow camo dip job, it sure caught my attention!