Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun info

Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can shoot 2 3/4", 3", 3.5" from any gun chambered for 3.5" shells.

Just need to "break-in" the gun with a box of 3" mags.

I started by patterning my gun with 3.5" turkey loads (6 rounds) for turkey season, unscrewed that choke, put in a skeet choke and shot 2 rounds of skeet with #7 1/2 high brass.

My gun cycles 2 3/4" #8 low brass and 3.5" #4 high brass with ease !!!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Stoeger is a good gun...as is the 11-87. And while I love my 835, my experience with Mossberg's 935 autoloader has been horrendous! I'm sure some folks love them and have had nothing but success with them, but I can't stand them. The only ones I have ever been around (4) have jammed consistently...very consistently.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Spike

Thank you that helps alot and I think I made my choice either the stoeger 3500 or the browning bps depends which feels more comfortable and the price. Thanks again
Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

More info the better.................

http://hunting.about.com/od/toppicks...toshotguns.htm

Look at reviews and then handle the ones that make sense to you (the ones you like best).

Ultimately, the "right" gun will pick you !!!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my advice based in part upon your confessoin that you do not know the "first thing" about shot guns, and that your budget is about $1000. I'd stay with a pump action. This design is somewhat simpler that most auto loaders and presents less maintenance issues ... and are usually around $200-$500 less in intial cost depending upon make and models that you are comparing. A route to go would be to locate a reputable gun shop that sells used shot guns. Typically anoher $100-$200 can be knocked off the normal pricing for a comparable new shotgun. A local shop that I have done a lot of business with, for example has several of the following used 12 ga. pumps listed for sale: (US $$) NOVA - $400, BPS-$425, Rem 870-$400, Win. 1400-$250, Mossberg 835 - $300. Each of these are listed to be in VG to "as new" condition. Not a great deal of savings, but at least some. With the $1000 you can go new for sure. My choice Browning BPS or Benelli NOVA.

I'd buy a pump that can handle 3 1/2" shells. It'll handle 2 3/4" and 3" as well. A
3 1/2" , 12 ga. shot shell is a heavy recoil round, but puts a lot of shot in the air for sure !?!

Buy the pump with a smooth bore, cabable of taking choke tubes. Most new will come with 2-3. Usually Improved (wing shooting), Modified (tighter choke for longer distance wing shooting and small game), and Full (even tighter choke for larger flyers such as duck and geese , and suitable for turkey out to about 35 yards +/-). If you are planning on hunting turkey, consider buying a ported, screw-in choke tube (.670 is a good choice). You'll pick up another 10-20 yards of effective range for turkey, but the pattern is mighty tight at 10-15 yard range !

You should have enough left now to buy a rifled "slug" barrel. This set-up is used for hunting medium game where center fired rifles are prohibited. Slug guns are generally accurate and can take deer sized game cleanly out to about 150-200 yards.

Your $1000 should be about (if not totally) gone by now. If not, and you have $200-$300 +/- left, invest in a decent low powered scope for the slug set-up.

Now you have a pump useful for wing shooting, small game, turkeys ... as well as medium game.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Spike

Thank you Mojotex thats more along the lignes of info that Ive been looking for I've been looking at different models but I dont know what im looking a.t I never knew that 3-1/2" meant you could use 2-3/4" also and that is good to know otherwise I wouldve gotten a 3" lol. And your info on chokes is exactly what I wanted to know I want to get to know the basics. So I'm guessing modified would be good for skeet shooting? And as far as maintenance it doesnt matter to me, I like tinkering and I recently also successfuly and safely performed a trigger job on my sks. And I clean all my guns whenever I take them shooting.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not into skeet shooting. So not help there. Sorry.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

"skeet" choke for skeet shooting.

http://www.trulockchokes.com/clay-targets-c-22.php

If you call; ask for George
Old 04-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, modified is too tight for skeet shooting unless you are an expert. Incidentally, back to your choke comment. You mentioned that you would have bought a 3" chamber shotgun when commenting about the Mojotex 3 1/2" statement. The 3" chamber or the 3 1/2" chamber will take a 2 3/4" shell, but not the other way around. The shell always has to be the same as marked on the barrel/action or smaller to safely shoot it.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Spike

Thanks thats what my understanding of it was.