Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

slugs or buckshot for bear?

Old 04-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
More bear attacks are from black bear just due to the #'s of bear and the #'s of encounters with humans. It's not really a good comparison. It's like saying cars are more dangerous than motorcycles because there are more people killed in car wrecks each year.
-Jake
+1, this guy has good info, I respect ones like him that hide no honor of being out in those woods first hand and giving the truth. I stick by my humble encounters with black bears in the south maybe this should be about north or south probally suprisingly different behavors I would bet.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Spike

That's what i meant, i got my facts mixed up, but brown's and grizzlies are more prone to attack? That's what i have seen in some studies.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:57 AM
Typical Buck

Fact more people are attacked by hoofed animals than bears and cats each year. I have a friend that uses buckshot on bears. He hasn't lost one yet and some of the pellets exit the opposite side of the bear but I'm thinking one well placed slug is better. But you know with all the internet experts out there I'm sure there's going to be the one guy that swears by 6 shot. Bears are just big turkey's ya know?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

This may be a little old for most of you guys, but an article that was in OUT DOOR LIFE magazine when I was a kid came to mind with the previous post. A hunter had gotten a bear and wanted the head mounted. There was a leathery patch above and between the eyes that he wanted repaired. (He thought it was a rub mark) The Taxidermist skinned it out and called the guy to come and look. There was a hole, about 2" if I remember correctly, right where the patch was and through the front of the skull. There was also some scattered pellets in the skull. Going by the shot spread the guess was shotgun from about 3 feet away. There were pictures in the article. Anybody else remember this?

Last edited by Gunplummer; 04-10-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Black bears are so much less of a threat than brown bears its not even funny. They also die a heck of lot easier than their brown bear counterparts.

That does not mean they are not a threat. You just need to understand how to deal with them.

What you choose to kill a black bear with really isn't all that important. I know many people that take them with a bow. Make a good shot with almost any weapon and they will die.

Moral of the story, make a good shot and walk away.