Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

slugs or buckshot for bear?

Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

The post "A black bear will be scared of you" is not true. Where I bow hunt there have been a lot of houses put up in the area in the last 20 years. There were always bears, but they usually would just sneak off with out being seen. Now because of all the people contact, they are really getting bold. I would forget the gun and carry pepper spray. It will keep you out of trouble with the bear and the Game Warden.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
The post "A black bear will be scared of you" is not true. Where I bow hunt there have been a lot of houses put up in the area in the last 20 years. There were always bears, but they usually would just sneak off with out being seen. Now because of all the people contact, they are really getting bold. I would forget the gun and carry pepper spray. It will keep you out of trouble with the bear and the Game Warden.
I disagree, well this is a forum we agree to disagree.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Smokepole, I've chased city bears up a tree before, and I've also had them stand there and stare at me with a stupid grin on their face. Once they've been around people long enough that natural fear does go away. Not completely of course, but not like it is when you bump into one in the woods.
-Jake
Old 03-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

But they still aren't a threat unless you surprise one. Just be aware of your surroundings. If you're just out hiking or camping make noise when you walk. A black bear wants nothing to do with you.
-Jake
Old 03-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

Slug, definitely. Check this out:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotguns_protection_field.htm
Old 03-31-2012, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
you guys ever watched a 300# 10 yo male, walking towards you ears down, hackles up, popping his jaws? probably a bluff but you never know, the 3 times I've saw it, it made me think.
RR
Went about face to face with one in brush under some power towers in PA, had me thinking at the time too. But this is for camping/hiking purposes. I was sneaking and surprised the bear, I immediately made noise and he changed his route, had he not changed he woulda got a face full of '06 I know that much. I've spent the last two summers as a backpacking guide in Colorado, and I just don't see the need for this "protection" for hiking purposes. If you're gonna be sneaking around, sure you may surprise one. But most people are fairly noisy while hiking.
Camping can be a different story. Make sure you keep the goodies sealed up. I have seen bears tear up coolers and put a good hurting on "bear proof" containers like "Bearicuda" makes. Make sure your food is away and that you aren't pitching scraps where you want the bears to stay away from. I typically camp and backpack with a CC pistol where I can, I've never needed it though.
-Jake
Old 04-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

I am too busy to look it up but I bet more bear attacks are black bear than any other type bear.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would keep buckshot for the smaller and 2-legged critters, and bear pepper spray for the black bears.

Pepper spray is supposed to be extremely effective against bears, but the best protection is to avoid them, don't provoke them, don't get between a mother and her cubs, and just in general use good common sense.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Spike

More bear attack are actually more likely grizzly or brown, black bears however are more likely to wanna kill you, that's what i've always been taught? If it's black, fight back, and if it's brown, get down.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

More bear attacks are from black bear just due to the #'s of bear and the #'s of encounters with humans. It's not really a good comparison. It's like saying cars are more dangerous than motorcycles because there are more people killed in car wrecks each year.
-Jake

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.