Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Filling a Synthetic Rifle stock?....with what?

Old 08-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Filling a Synthetic Rifle stock?....with what?

Anyone have any good ideas for filling a synthetic rifle stock to add some weight?
I have a CVA Hunterbolt Magnum .50 muzzleloader that I just know is gonna knock the tar out of me as I start building up a hunting load.......geez that stock is light!

Here is my idea........remove the recoil pad and fill the entire stock cavity with spray foam insulation, and while still wet maybe insert a couple large stainless bolts that will sort of float in the foam when it hardens.
Should add some weight and take a bit of the bite out of what is sure to be a treat with something like 100grs of 777 behind a 295gr bullet.[][X(]

Anyone have any other suggestions before I start destroying my stock? I' d like to add maybe 1 to 1.5lbs to the finished rifle weight.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Filling a Synthetic Rifle stock?....with what?

I have the same gun. Yes, it kicks a little more than tar out of you. I havn' t been shooting it in a long while but I am going to put some store bought sand in it. Then cut a thin piece of rubber to seal around the edges and cut to fit. That should take a heck of a lot of kick out of it. That sand should absorbe a lot of the kick before it gets to the shoulder.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:45 AM
Typical Buck

suggestion if you want weight go to wal-mart get a can of bondo,that you mix a hardner with its in the paint section but don' t remember the exact name for it,I get the one that says light on the can,mix by directions,it takes about 3/4 can to fill a remington stock.I mix 1/2 of what I need at a time.acording to how much weight I want I take a 3/4 in drill and drill holes length wise in the bondo after it hardens to make it lighter if its to heavy.
If I don' t want to make weight I use pieces of foam and pack it tight inside the stock or a can of great stuff I think its called (its foam in a can,you can get at a building supply)
I have one of the other in all of my hollow stocks.mostly to kill the hollow sound.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:11 PM

Matt-

I would add that some of those spray foam products absorb water. Just be careful choosing a material and making sure that there is a good seal. You wouldn' t want the foam to absorb water and hold it in there.

Just my .02!
Old 08-24-2003, 02:01 PM

I like the sand Idea. It would be like a dead blow hammer at a machine tool shop. Those things don' t even bounce when you hit a big steel mold. I like them, but I don' t want to dink with putting sand in my rifle stock. I would talk to a gunsmith and see if you could get him to do it for you.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:39 PM

I' ve had pretty good success by using expanding foam and a hydraulic bow stabilizer. Adds a nice amount of weight and reduces recoil quite a bit.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used spray foam insulation and lead balls. Just layer it so they are not all in one spot.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:14 PM

I don' t have an answer for you on this........I would be careful using EXPANDING foam sealants......I' ve seen them push out window frames before.......could split the stocks if not careful.

Doesn' t the extra weight really throw off the balance of the gun?
Old 08-24-2003, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

My muzzle loader was too light in the rear to begin with so the extra weight actually helped balance it. As far as expanding foam splitting the stock, leave the butt plate off and let it dry for a few days then shave off the excess.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the replies so far guys........Friz, do you have a brand name of the spray foam you used? I Imagine the foam itself doesn' t add much weight at all.........What did you use for lead balls? Muzzleloading rounds?
I' m just trying to figure weight gain, don' t want to OVER do it.

Not only from a recoil standpoint, this gun can definitely use it for better weight distribution.
Not just being a sissy!

Quick Reply: Filling a Synthetic Rifle stock?....with what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.