Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.22 vs .17 HMR

Old 01-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Spike

Default .22 vs .17 HMR

I want to add a small caliber rifle to my collection. I'm thinking 17 HMR or 22 cal. I would like to use it along my 12 gauge shotgun for grouse and duck hunting, even goose hunting if possible. Which caliber do you guys think is the best for this? I'm talking arctic conditons but the winds are not so high that often. I don't want to cause damage to the meat, but of course headshot doesn't cause damages to the meat. What bullets to use for these birds?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't believe using a rifle on birds in legal (except for turkey in some states - not for me anyway).

The .17 HMR is the "new" .22lr, however in heavy winds the .22lr is better IMO.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Spike

Thanks Sheridan

I'm not going to use it in the states. Do you know the reason for this not being allowed?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

The ole' saying is; "Like shooting fish in a barrel".

Too easy - no sport in it if they're sitting...............shoot them while they're flying; now you're talkin' !

That's why a shotgun is used for wingshooting.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the .22WMR/
Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not exactly the same topic, but pretty dang close. We just beat this topic to DEATH on the small game and predator page of the forum...

17hmr 22mag coyotes under 100yds

Ultimately, if it's LEGAL, and you can make a head shot, then either are great for birds. Hit a bird on the ground in the head with a pellet from a BB gun and he's going down, but that's not to say I'd personally pursue that technique.

For headshots on birds, the .17HMR offers a flatter trajectory, and plenty of power to pop a top. The flatter trajectory is the benefit of the .17HMR on small game (or headshot birds), whereas the heavier bullets of the .22WMR are a benefit when you're talking about larger game, like fox, bobcat, or coyotes, otherwise, the two are pretty similar in killing performance.

Keep in mind that shooting for their HEAD isn't an ethical shot. For birds, you need to be shooting for their BRAIN. The problem with that is that they call it "bird brained" for a reason. Their actual brain is VERY small, making a CNS hit actually quite difficult.

Again, personally, it aint my bag. Wing shooting with a shotgun doesn't ruin THAT MUCH meat that I'd say rifle hunting is a better idea. I HAVE seen wounded geese with their bills blown off, I'm assuming by someone shooting at them with a rifle, they can still fly and escape, but they can't feed, so they either die of starvation or infection, either way, it's not a pretty sight, and not what I'd call "ethical pursuit".
Old 01-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
I like the .22WMR/
I agree.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

nomercy has some great points, that notwithstanding........if pinpoint accuracy was what i needed id reach for my 17.