Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mossberg 535, 12g. need some help/opinon

Old 12-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Spike

Default mossberg 535, 12g. need some help/opinon

got a new 535, it came with a 22 inch barrel, and a 28 inch barrel, its gonna be used for deer, turkey, and some squirrels.
with muzzleloader only left in deer season im not gonna be able to use it right now for them or until next year, so i plan to take out some squirrels with it for now

my question is, which barrel (22 or 28 inch) with which choke should i use?

this is my first shot gun, always used boys, rifle and muzzleloader, so im new to the shotgunning world, thank for you any help
Old 12-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Spike

Do both barrels have interchangeable choke tubes for them? If they do, you can use whatever barrel you want and use a modified or improved cylinder choke for it. Length of barrel will come down to your preference. Some guys like a long barrel for reach and feel comfortable with its swing. But most guys like a short barrel for fast swing in crowded places. It depends on what you feel the most comfortable with.

I am wondering if your 22" barrel is rifled though? If it is; you should use your 28" barrel. I am guessing the 28" is more likely set up for small game already.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:14 AM
Fork Horn

We have a 535 w/2 barrel set. I presume that your short barrel has front and rear fiber optic sights. and the longer barrel has beads. The short barrel is used with the extra full choke for turkeys, and with a more open choke can be used for deer. The longer barrel, which gives a longer sighting plane, we use for waterfowl. Deciding which choke tube to use for which purpose requires patterning the shotgun. BTW, the 535 is is a very light gun, and is chambered for 3.5" shells, but if you decide to use these, be sure that you do not have any loose tooth fillings.

Last edited by keyshunter; 12-26-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:32 AM
Typical Buck

Long story short... Use the longer barrel with a modified choke. Inexpensive 2 3/4" 6's or 7's out of it will kill squirrels. Have fun and eat some squirrel gravy for me!

rw
Old 12-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Spike

the short barrel is not rifled, and like you said, just messing with it, i like the short barrel better, and i like that it has the front and rear fiberoptic sight, where the long barrel only has the front bead....

so thank yall, it basicly just cleared up and reasured my thoughts that i already had
Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they are both smoothbore barrels, use the short one for things you shoot at using sights, like turkey and squirrel. Use the longer one or wing shooting, and maybe rabbits.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
If they are both smoothbore barrels, use the short one for things you shoot at using sights, like turkey and squirrel. Use the longer one or wing shooting, and maybe rabbits.

I agree with UncleNorby. A modified choke will suffice in most situations while squirrel hunting, use an improved cylinder early in the season when the leaves are still on the trees and shots are closer.