Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First firearm - Ruger 77/44

Old 12-05-2011, 05:03 AM
Spike

Default First firearm - Ruger 77/44

Hey folks, I just recently got into the sport of hunting and purchased my first firearm. As most of my hunting will be done in Indiana, I was limited to a pistol caliber cartridge (since I wanted a rifle).

Based on my own research and what I read of other experience hunters opinion, I ended up choosing the Ruger Model 77 in .44 Magnum. I chose a Burris Fullfield II 2-7x 35mm scope to go along with it.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is other's opinions in terms of what I should have done to it (if anything)? Should I float the barrel, get a new stock (the one I purchased in the synthetic stock, however, I really like the look and feel of thumbhole stocks but I haven't been able to find one that fits the Ruger M77), or do any other modifications?

I would also appreciate everyone's opinion of this particular rifle in terms of accuracy, durability, and overall quality.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

The M77 is a fine rifle (I have a 25-06 that's a tack driver) and your caliber choice for hunting in Indiana should serve you well. The scope you put on it may be overkill as the 44 mag will not reach out to where you would need the full 7x magnification as most shots with a 44 mag are generally under 100 yards. The caliber is known by many as a "brush gun" and many in that caliber are made in short barrel lever actions, etc. That's the main reason Indiana lets you use that and some of the other handgun calibers because they are generally short range firearms.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:28 AM
Spike

Default Scope

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
The M77 is a fine rifle (I have a 25-06 that's a tack driver) and your caliber choice for hunting in Indiana should serve you well. The scope you put on it may be overkill as the 44 mag will not reach out to where you would need the full 7x magnification as most shots with a 44 mag are generally under 100 yards. The caliber is known by many as a "brush gun" and many in that caliber are made in short barrel lever actions, etc. That's the main reason Indiana lets you use that and some of the other handgun calibers because they are generally short range firearms.
I guess I bought the scope because of it's versatility. I wanted to be able to use it on other, longer range guns, if I decide to purchase more in the future.

Thanks for the comments.