Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me pick a new rifle

Old 08-11-2003, 01:15 PM

Default RE: Help me pick a new rifle

What do you guys think of the Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker chambered in 7mm-08? That seems to me like a nice gun. My stepdad has a Browning BAR II Safari semi auto in 30-06 and he loves it so I' m thinking Browning. What do you think?
Old 08-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Excellent choice!
Old 08-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the Browning fits you good then I am sure it will be acceptable. I would suggest trying several different brands to see how they shoulder. If possible shoot as many different guns as you can before you make up your mind. 7mm-08 Rem is a great choice in cartridge.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Browning and 7MM-08 will excellent choices! Good luck!
Old 08-11-2003, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

The Browning in 7mm-08 will be perfect!
Old 08-11-2003, 03:15 PM

My dad' s got an A-bolt in .30-06 that shoots beautifully, so I have nothing bad to say about the gun. I would support what the guys here are saying, though:

If you have the money to get a good, well-made, brand-new gun, go and feel each of the major companies' major lines of rifle. You' re not going to find a major brand rifle that is really bad (if you stick with, say, the 700 rather than the 710 in Remington, etc), so it' s simply the gun that you like the feel of the best. If you like the way the Browning balances, the way the bolt works, etc, then by all means, make that your gun. Don' t swear off Winchester, Remington, Ruger, etc, though, because you never know which one is going to fit you best.

As to the caliber, the 7mm-08 is a great one. The only thing you' ll have to worry about down the line is elk, moose, and bear. It' ll shoot rings around most other calibers, has great velocity, light kick... just a joy to shoot. It' ll make you a better shot. There are a bunch of them out there, though - again, don' t tie yourself down to a caliber, because there' s plenty of good ones to choose from.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:23 PM

When you get ready to buy one, be sure to try the trigger to make sure it is clean and crisp with no creep. If you feel movement in the trigger (creep) or it feels rough, you are probably going to end up having it worked on by your gunsmith. So try to avoid that problem when you buy it. BTW, Brownings usually have very nice triggers, but try a few of the better guns to get a feel for what is a good trigger before you buy. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Browning Abolt SS stalker in a 270 win very nice gun to shoot, I did get some trigger work done though to bring it down to 3 lbs from the factory 7 lbs setting. Even with the heavy trigger it was crisp and shot acceptable hunting groups(I just prefer a lighter trigger and have done this on all my rifles).

I agree with the 7mm-08 as a good cartridge, the 270 would also be a good choice. I agree check out as many as you can and pick the one that feels the best to you.

Also something to keep in mind is some money for a decent scope, mounts and rings to put on top of your prize.(all to often guys spend the wad on the gun and forget about the optics part, better to think about that first and spend accordingly)

Have fun & good luck!
Old 08-12-2003, 07:18 AM

Ok, I put an Abolt in 7mm-08 on layaway at the gunshop until I can get my dad' s gun to the shop. The reason is that he wants a reddot scope on his rifle so he said that if i got a reddot with my rifle, he would trade for his Nikon Monarch 3x9. I think I got a deal on that since the scope is only 1 season old. I really love his scope. When I pull up with that scope, I don' t have to search for the crosshairs. THanks guys for helping me out and I' ll let you know how I' m shooting with it when I go sight it in later this month.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

Good choice on the abolt and the nikon scope too.I just bought my first Browning the first of the year and really shoots good out of the box,only adjusted the triger on it.
I have a 7/08 but its in a Rem classic and it sure is a deer getter.
Let us know how yours shoots

Quick Reply: Help me pick a new rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.