Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 RUM/ 300 win mag.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Spike

Default 300 RUM/ 300 win mag.

Hey every one new here.
i have a few questions like every new comer.
I was looking into a 300win mag, and as i was browsing i came across the 300 rum. Then i came across Remingtons power level ammo which would allow a shooter to shoot a 300 win mag basically with the option of upping there power if needed to the full power 300 RUM.
Ok I hunt elk every year and every year i spot 300+pt bulls at 5-600 yds and my little 35 whelen falls short... very short.
last year i spotted a HUGE 4pt muley at 560 and just watched him walk away. That was the final straw.
I also will hunt moose in the next ten years either here in MT or in AK.
My main question is is it worth getting the 300 rum and shooting power level ammo or is a 300 win mag plenty.
Thanks ahead of time.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:48 AM
Dominant Buck

The .300 RUM has some awesome ballistics. With that comes a ton of recoil. I have a friend who has one and had to get a muzzle break installed. If it were me I would stay with the tried and true .300 WM and try to get closer. I have shot 4 elk in 5 years and 125 yds is the furthest shot so seeing them is half the battle and getting close enough for a 200 yd shot or less is the rest of the story. I doubt that I have the shooting skills to even think about a 500 yd or longer shot. I know people do it but unless you are practiced and have the right gun it is a lower percentage shot than what I would take. It would be heartbreaking to see such an animal get away wounded especially if I took a low percentage shot.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Recoil on the 300 Ultra mag isnt as bad as everyone seems to think. I have two, my 338 win mag kicks harder, and I cant tell much of a difference between the RUM and the 300 Wtby.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Interesting and you should know since you have them. The one I am familiar with wasn't that bad to shoot but it did have the MB of which I am not a fan of due to the loud blast. I thought it was interesting that you have both the .338 WM and the .300 RUM. Your thoughts on what is a better elk caliber. Not meaning to stir up a hornets nest but the comparison from an owner of both has a lot of value to me since I might be buying another elk rifle.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

For elk I perfer the 338 win mag, but both are fine elk guns. The 300 RUM you have to use premium bullets suchas the Nosler Partition, because most 30 caliber bullets was not designed to be shooting at the velocities of the RUM. If you get a close shot and are not using a very good designed bullet, you will have bullet failure. The 338 has been arround along time and the bullets that are available for it were designed arround that cartridge and there really is no need for the extra expense of purchasing a premium bullet. I love my 338 win mag and if I was to be buying a elk rifle, I would strongly concider it the best choice of the two. JMO.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:12 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the fast replies. So checking ballistics both cartridges are pretty close. I am sure i will go for a 300 WM.
now for another question how is remington making the power level ammo? Changing powder charges would not work to that extent could it be powder burn rate?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

+1 for .300 Win Mag.

Your gun will tell you which bullet it likes the best............use that one !
Old 08-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Spike

my dad once told me "if your not a good enough hunter to get closer then 600 yards you wont be a good enough shooter to make the shot"!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are both great rounds. Either one is a great elk caliber. The 300 ultra mag is better. It's better and that's all there is to it. Anyone who can read a ballistics chart can tell you that.

Like I said, they are both great elk rounds. I'm glad I have the 300 RUM.

If a round is going to drop 30 inches, it's a harder shot than if it's going to drop 20 inches.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
For elk I perfer the 338 win mag, but both are fine elk guns. The 300 RUM you have to use premium bullets suchas the Nosler Partition, because most 30 caliber bullets was not designed to be shooting at the velocities of the RUM. If you get a close shot and are not using a very good designed bullet, you will have bullet failure. The 338 has been arround along time and the bullets that are available for it were designed arround that cartridge and there really is no need for the extra expense of purchasing a premium bullet. I love my 338 win mag and if I was to be buying a elk rifle, I would strongly concider it the best choice of the two. JMO.
Thanks fritz good info there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.