Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 RUM/ 300 win mag.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

Like others have said...600 yards is a hell of a shot...beyond my skills with any gun I own. Anyway...to the question...300 WM is a tried and tested caliber. If you are not a reloader...buying 300 RUM ammo may require a second job! 300 WM ammo is far more prevalent, has more bullet choices and is far less expensive...oh and it will be kinder on your shoulder. To get proficient out to 600 yards is going to require some...hell a lot...or range time, hence a lot of ammo (so back to the cost thing)...and a 300 WM will kill as well as the 300 RUM.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Spike

Well went to town and got myself a A remington 700 sps in 300wm. it was my first choice anyways. just curious about the rum since the ballistics were beautiful.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tyler32990
Well went to town and got myself a A remington 700 sps in 300wm. it was my first choice anyways. just curious about the rum since the ballistics were beautiful.
You have made a great choice for an all around hunting rifle. There are guys that spend thousands of dollars and won't be any more prepared than you are. Congrats on the new gun! Now lets talk about glass!
Old 09-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree you made an excellent choice. IMO the RUMs are only of value or use if you reload, buying off the shelf factory ammo stick with the popular ones.

Shooting 500+ takes practice and ability, you must find the right load and shoot lots. Rifle are way more dependable then the shooter the trick is to cross that barrier and be reposnible with yourself to know your limits. Guys like RR who are effecient at distances most can't phathom have spend countless hours and many dollars to be able to confidently say ya I can make that shot on game not just paper. Just saying be patient and realistic, not internet chat stuff real world stuff(wink.wink).

Best of luck and enjoy your new iron!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
You have made a great choice for an all around hunting rifle. There are guys that spend thousands of dollars and won't be any more prepared than you are. Congrats on the new gun! Now lets talk about glass!
Well its gonna be a little while till i have enough money to put some nice glass on top. im thinking of a Vortex Viper or possibly nikon Monarch. either of which i would like to put a 4-16/ 5-20 on so i can do a little plinking. My good friend reloads so i can get ammo cheap since he shoots 300 Dakota. and his son shoots 300wm.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

.300 RUM. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Never shot a 338 win, yet, so I cant compare that, but wouldnt mind adding that to the collection. Wife has a 300win, and I have a 300RUM. Its a pretty noticeable step up in recoil, and blast. For most hunting situations, the win mag will do anything the RUM will do, without making you feel like you were in a wreck. I like my RUM, but I would do something different if I were to go back in time. As others said, with the RUM, and really to get the most out of the winmag, use premium bullets. I prefer the Nosler partitions, but theres other great choices. Dont skimp on the ammo, dont skimp on the range time, and do not skimp on scope mounts and the glass on it or it will just be in vein.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Never shot a 338 win, yet, so I cant compare that, but wouldnt mind adding that to the collection. Wife has a 300win, and I have a 300RUM. Its a pretty noticeable step up in recoil, and blast. For most hunting situations, the win mag will do anything the RUM will do, without making you feel like you were in a wreck. I like my RUM, but I would do something different if I were to go back in time. As others said, with the RUM, and really to get the most out of the winmag, use premium bullets. I prefer the Nosler partitions, but theres other great choices. Dont skimp on the ammo, dont skimp on the range time, and do not skimp on scope mounts and the glass on it or it will just be in vein.