Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.223 Rifle

Old 08-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Spike

Default .223 Rifle

Since my purchase of my brand new Remington 700 SPS SS with the Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 BDC, I have been just more impressed than I ever imagined, by both items. There is some chance of a future purchase (1-2 years) of some kind of .223. Of course because of my last purchase I have been strongly considering the Remington 700 VTR.

The reason for this is that perhaps once a year, a few family members and I may venture out to SD to do some prairie dog shooting. Now I am the only one who hasn't been out there yet and was even told that I may want to try it before investing in a gun (kind of a no brainer) but IF I did like it and decided I wanted to get .223 what are some of the very accurate rifles out of the box?

It seems I have been seeing A LOT of Remington 700 VTR, Savage Arms, and AR-15's. I wouldn't want to spend a ton of money since I'm just killing varmints. So I just want an accurate and affordable rifle that will mainly be used for doggies, fox, coyote, etc. I do have to admit though, I have been quite favorable and devoted Remington fan boy but I am open to other options.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

the savage varmint hunter series looks good. and weatherby makes some affordable varmint hunting guns. marlin makes a X7VH, but not in .223, they make it in .22-250 which i heard is an excellent varmint round. marlin may be your cheapest option but if it shoots anything like my xl7 you will have no problem with accuracy.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Savage would be a good choice. But so would the Tikka T3 Varmint.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

man i just got a thompson center, which i believe has something to do with smif n wessin...its a venture, and comes with a matched crown..shootin 5 shots through the same hole at 100 yards...looked like a single 50 cal hole.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

I have a new Tikka (in 270 WSM) and a new Savage in 17 HMR...both are great guns...great adjustable triggers...target crowns, inexpensive and both shoot very nicely. I'd have no problem recommending either brand to anyone. They both shot well under MOA out of the box.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Spike

Thank you all for your replies. I know when the time comes to purchase another gun, assuming its in the budget and that I like the prairie dogging as much as I think I will, this will be a great help. I think the only one I would rule out is the TC line only because they are way to old school looking for me but all of the other suggestions appeal more to my style and I have heard wonderful things about, especially the T3. But are their issues that people have with it not being American made? I think it is a Finland based company, is it not? Anyway I also like the Savage 25 LV-T But if that didn't match up quite as well as the 12 series then I would also consider the Savage 12 BTCSS in .223
Old 08-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Crazy8
Thank you all for your replies. I know when the time comes to purchase another gun, assuming its in the budget and that I like the prairie dogging as much as I think I will, this will be a great help. I think the only one I would rule out is the TC line only because they are way to old school looking for me but all of the other suggestions appeal more to my style and I have heard wonderful things about, especially the T3. But are their issues that people have with it not being American made? I think it is a Finland based company, is it not? Anyway I also like the Savage 25 LV-T But if that didn't match up quite as well as the 12 series then I would also consider the Savage 12 BTCSS in .223
.223 Rifle-tc-venture.jpg

i dont know what style you are looking for, but its just as fancy as any other synthetic stock.adjustable trigger...it has characteristics of my Browning BAR. i.g the grey grips..it is matched crown and the only manufacturer i could find that GUARANTEES moa, without spendin some change on a custom tube. shoots better than my savage, my bar and my marlin.
i bought a bunch of "nice" guns..but this ones a shooter..thats important to me.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/fire...r-venture.html
you can see the groups better if ya click on the targets.
tell ya what, if ya buy it, and cant get these groups, you can get your money back...Browning never said that to me..and Marlin laughed when i asked about moa warranty..couldnt reach anyone at savage.

btw..i spent $900(and a $600 scope) on my savage, $1300 (adding $900+ fer a scope) on my BAR..$400( and $400 scope) on my marlin, and i got a nice mil dot burris scope and the tc venture fer $850 and the scope came with a spotting scope.
anyway..its your gun, just when ya shrugged it off like that, i just wanted to let ya know, yer a lil mis-informed.

Last edited by halfbakedi420; 08-30-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Spike

I guess I should have specifically looked for that gun. I went to the TC website and saw that every gun that was being displayed had a hammer and a updated western look that I am not at all appealed to. So that's where that "30 seconds to tell/show a customer what and who you are" came into play and rather than looking further like I should have I instantly closed the site out. The image of your gun you have posted is my style and is a nice gun. I also am a sucker for warranties and especially if its a money back kind of warranty.

Thank you Halfbakedi for pointing out my ignorance and adding the other good info with all of that. Those groups are very awesome. This gun will surely be at the top of my list of potential varmint rifles.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Crazy8
I guess I should have specifically looked for that gun. I went to the TC website and saw that every gun that was being displayed had a hammer and a updated western look that I am not at all appealed to. So that's where that "30 seconds to tell/show a customer what and who you are" came into play and rather than looking further like I should have I instantly closed the site out. The image of your gun you have posted is my style and is a nice gun. I also am a sucker for warranties and especially if its a money back kind of warranty.

Thank you Halfbakedi for pointing out my ignorance and adding the other good info with all of that. Those groups are very awesome. This gun will surely be at the top of my list of potential varmint rifles.

Right on..it has the 5r rifling too..did ya read up on that?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Spike

I did see that it had that but didn't read up on it...I will be sure to do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.