Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.223 Rifle

Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Savage rifles are incredibly hard to beat. The model 10 and 12 (stainless version of the 10) are among the most accurate production rifles available. So much so that the 12 is actually offered in competition ready stocks, such as the 12 Palma and 12 F-Class.

My wife and I have several Savage 12's in different calibers, including switch-barrel rigs for benchrest competition, but we both have our own Savage 12BVSS .223rem. At 100yrds, it's not even fun to shoot them anymore... One hole, then 4 more shots going through it. Hers does shoot a little better than mine. She can post 0.1MOA groups pretty regularly, whereas mine usually hangs around at 0.2MOA (remember that's a 0.45" 5-shot group or better, day in day out). Putting 10 shots under a dime at 100yrds is childsplay with these rifles.

If you can find the last of the Savage 12 BVSS running around (their stainless varminter, which was replaced by the 12 VLP-DBM "Varminter Low Profile-Detachable Box Magazine"), they cost about $750 new from an honest shop. The updated model 12 VLP-DBM runs about $900 around here. I purchased a 12 VLP-DBM in .300WSM which has been posting 0.2MOA out to 400yrds with no problem, and has posted under 4" 5-shot groups at 1,000yrds twice (I did, however, get the muzzle threaded and a brake installed).

My wife runs a .284 Shehane (blown out version of a .284 Winchester) in a Savage 12 for 600 and 1000yrd F-Class.

Bottom line, the Savage 12 are very accurate rifles, and come at a reasonable price...
Old 09-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Spike

DANG!!! I may have to give that one some strong consideration also. Thank you very much for that info.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

+2 for the Savage. It would be my choice hands down.