Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

M1 as a target rifle

Old 06-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Spike

Default M1 as a target rifle

I am interested to get an M1 through the Civilian Marksmanship Program and was thinking of using it as a target rifle. What is the recoil like on the M1? Does it make a good target rifle, or is it more of a period piece? I've heard they can discharge easily by accident.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Most of the M1's they sell have been thru it.

You can make em target guns.

Fulton armory in MD rebuilds them and can guarantee 1MOA accuracy. Pricey, but good.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gringo you are aware that the M1 is very expensive to shoot? Even if you roll your own ammo, which you should if you want to target shoot, the M1 is not an inexpensive rifle. A fine rifle to be sure but expensive to operate.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are Garand target shoots and just general vintage miltary rifle matches. Garands can be made to be accurate but not accurate enough to win against an outright target rifle. Most all vintage military matches are won by bolt action rifles.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

All the statemens above are true. And as for recoil - have you ever shot a 30-06? Now try shooting it with a steel butt plate. True the gas system eliminates some recoil. But it is still quite noticable. Without a true shooting jacket you will not find the M1 a rilfe you would care to plink with. Don't get me wrong. I love shooting an M1 Garand and I get a kick out of the classis "KAPING" as the cartridge clip ejects at the last shot.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Spike

Gringojosh, I am new to the forum but not to the CMP and the near new m1's they are selling right now.

The current lot they are selling came back from the Greek Airforce. Many are new from the mid 50's.

They have a Service Grade Special in Springfield Armory or Harrington & Richardson (H&R). These cost 895 USD plus delivery. They feature a new manufactured stock and stock metal but all else is USGI issue @ collector grade. It is a new old stock rifle, received by the Greeks but never used and returned to us with a damaged stock. I picked up two SA Special Service Grades and they are great.

Here is a couple of pictures, not the best views but enough to see the rifles.

They have A rebuilt rifle for 995 USD that has a new manufatured bbl and action is refinished. Probably their most accurate offering.

The good old days for M1's from the CMP is now.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

They do make a Match Grade version, butt, it is very expensive. Nearing $1,200.00+.
The standard grade is more than adequate for most shooters, but IMO, is not a match level gun. They are a riot to shoot, the recoil is very manageable.