Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

looking to learn in Rochester NY

Old 04-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Spike

Default looking to learn in Rochester NY

Hi - Just bought my first rifle 2 weeks ago. A remington 700 .270 WSM. Beautiful wood gun! Just want to learn to shoot it safely. Why is it so difficult to find someone to show me how in my area? Willing to pay. HELP! Thanks!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Kevin,

Here is a link to the NRA website with the different courses. I suggest starting with the NRA Basic Rifle Shooting Course.
http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Some instructors do instructing for income. Others do it just because they love to do it. For the second group, most do not want payment (it may also cause insurance complications and other issues). I suggest looking for a NRA instructor who is certified in rifle. I also suggest shooting a 22 Long Rifle while you are working on the fundamentals and proper form. A pellet rifle can also be an effective tool or working on the fundamentals and proper form, but they cannot be used for NRA firearm courses. Let me know if this helps.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Kevin, I am sure you are a good guy, but most folks involved in guns are very carefull about getting together with folks they dont know for hunting/ shooting.
Good for you to want to learn properly. Call local sporting goods shops (Gander, Dicks, privatly owned) or google for local hunter safety classes. The hunter safety class is more on gun safety than anything, and is a great start. I found the U.S. Army marksmanship training manual as a free online download. Great stuff, even for an old experienced shooter.
Google for local shooting ranges/ sportsmans clubs. Contact them about instructors.
I totally agreee with the previously mentioned idea of getting an inexpensive .22 (rimfire) rifle. All the principals are the same for you centerfire, but the cost will be a fraction to shoot.
Be carefull of anyone who is too eager and gungho to teach you...and be sure no alcohol at all is present, and that any shooting is at a formal range. And no matter what...do NOT try to impress the instructors with the extent of your knowledge...only with your earnest concern to do it right and safe.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

Kevin, I work in rochester. There are a few gun clubs around that you could go visit and possibly join. country1 has a good idea for you though about learning with a 22. alot cheaper and lets you learn to handle a weapon in a safe manner.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Spike

Default looking to learn Rochester NY

Thanks everyone for all the advice and words of encouragement! New to gun ownership, never fired a rifle before but want to!!!! Hard to find any gun clubs here in Rochester for newbies! I feel like the members are so much more experienced than me as I know nothing about firearms but want to learn! Thanks very much!!!!
Attached Thumbnails looking to learn in Rochester NY-270wsm.jpg  
Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on a great looking Rifle Kevin!I guess the main thing is to always handle a Rifle like it was loaded and always point the muzzle/end in a safe direction!As mentioned...taking a Hunters Safety Course is a very good idea,its a shame You don't live closer to another fellow Marksman/Hunter so You can learn some hands-on training and get some advice on shooting and sighting Your .270 WSM Rifle in at the Range? I have a Browning Medallion in the .270 WSM and can tell You that those calibers will shoot great and flat for a good distance...but be prepared to pay a high price for the shells from around $30.00-$40.00 a box of 20 shells!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 05-08-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

Kevin,

I sent you a PM, so check your notifications on the forum.

Everyone was a new shooter at some point. The key is having and maintaining the proper attitude. If you find a gun club that is 100% or even a majority of new shooters, do NOT join. One thing a club can offer is a wealth of knowledge. However, check to see that the advice give is accurate and not just a bunch of hot air. Also look to see if they have any certified instructors. There are experienced shooters who are not certified instructors that can give good to very good instruction. There are also 'experienced shooters' who are self proclaimed experts that are down right scary. This is one that is down right scary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmRN00KbCr8

See if you can find a certified instructor. Notice how Todd Jarrett says the law enforcement and military are behind the curve in the latest techniques.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Proper instruction is worth the cost.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuVPKYKB1LQ