Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Amazing Ruger all-weather

Old 04-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Amazing Ruger all-weather

I've had my Ruger M77 Mk II all-weather stainless (skeleton stock) for 18 years now. In those 18 years it's seen rain and snow and in all those years I NEVER pulled the action from the stock fearing I'd change the point of impact or something stupid like that. In any case I pulled the action tonight expecting tons of rust and gunk.

It looked like it just came off the assembly line. I was shocked. How could this be? I wiped it down with a slightly oily rag and then a dry towel and put it back together.

Good for another 18 years!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot that rifle a few weeks ago @ the range...good shooting gun.The guy said he picked it up for $600,i thought it was a good deal.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got one in a 280 Rem, but replced the stock with Bell & Carlson Carbalite stock, I didnt like the look of the one that came with it. It is a heck of a shooter and is the rifle I hunt with about 80% of the time, you cant hurt it. It has rode many miles on my 4wheeler and saw some pretty nasty weather, I wouldnt take anything for that gun. I also have one in a 223 Rem. but it has the laminate stock, again one hell of a shooter, that is my coyote gun.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

I got one in a 280 Rem, but replced the stock with Bell & Carlson Carbalite stock, I didnt like the look of the one that came with it. It is a heck of a shooter and is the rifle I hunt with about 80% of the time, you cant hurt it. It has rode many miles on my 4wheeler and saw some pretty nasty weather, I wouldnt take anything for that gun. I also have one in a 223 Rem. but it has the laminate stock, again one hell of a shooter, that is my coyote gun.

fritz1
I've been thinking about doing that. Which stock did you buy and how much? Did it drop right in?

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the Bell & Carlson stock, here is a picture of it on my 280 Rem. Sorry the picture came out blurry.

I dont remember the exact cost of it, it has been a few years since I got It. I had my neighbor who is a gunsmith order and install it, so I dont know if it was a drop in or if he had to releive anything. I gave him about $200 total, I believe.
Here is a link to get the best price on about any stock you want including the Carbelite.
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront
You can get a Bell & Carlson Carbelite for your Ruger for $146 for a black one, $160 for a web one, or $174 for a camo one.

Last edited by fritz1; 04-03-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

That sounds like good quality stainless. I'm surprised you didn't have any on the surface.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Most gun makers use 400 series stainless which is pretty good stuff. I was dumbfounded when there was no rust.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a picture of my Stainless Ruger 77 MKII 223. It has a Leupold, and like my 280 its a great gun, Very accurate. This is my winter coyote gun. Ruger makes a great stainless rifle, I heard they are supposed to go back to this brite stainless unstead of the current flat finnish, deffinitely a step in the right direction in my opinion.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the AW Hawkeye in .280.It's the most accurate gun I own.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

I would be curious to know if it's mainly the "all-weather" (stainless) Rugers that shoot really good or also the normal alloy steel blued versions. I have this (weird) "theory" that ss barrels are more accurate. Don't know why but that's stuck in my head. I should say that theory is wrong 'cause my new 700 SPS shoots super good groups.

(And I LOVE a stainless action in a laminated stock. My brother has a new Hawkeye ss in a laminated stock).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.