Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: .40 S&W 165gr. or .45 ACP 230gr.
.40 S&W 165gr.
34.00%
.45 ACP 230gr.
66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

.40 S&W or the .45 ACP

Old 04-10-2011, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by FastShootingCarts
When it comes to calibers and shooting folks.. bigger is not necessarily better. Accuracy counts!
A 45 acp in a quality 1911 will out shoot ANY 40 S&W that I have ever seen. That is why they give you 13 or so rounds in a 9mm or a 40 S&W, you will need them to hit something. Every 40 S&W that I have been arround shoots patterns not groups. I have a Smith & Wesson 1911 Tactical Rail that will shoot one ragged hole, at 25 yards, my buddies Glock 40S&W shoots 3-4" groups at 15 yards. POS in my opinion!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Boy, cabin fever must be taking hold of some folks here? We mustn't forget that the majority of the posts any of us read here are simply the poster's OPINION, not necessarily facts, particularly when trying to relate them to everyone else.

It's kind of silly trying to tie accuracy to a particular pistol caliber. The shooter plays the key role here, not the caliber. Along with that, the design of the pistol itself may contribute to a shooter's proficiency - again irrespective of caliber. I find the polymer-framed guns too off-balance for my M1911/M9/Sig-accustomed hands. Others find just the opposite. Again though, it goes right back to the shooter, not the caliber.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 1911 is well known for being one of the most accurate pistols ever made. That is not an opinion, it is a fact.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Here's another thought Nomercy, If you are going to a bar in downtown New York at 2.30 in the morning should you carry a 40, 45 or a sawed off shotgun? The correct answer is, stay the hell out of the bars at 2:30 am. The same goes with your security at home. The weapon is not near as important as a few simple security precautions. The old saying "an ounce of precaution is worth a pound of cure" applies here. I hope you start teaching that in your class.
First things first, I'm not sure how being safe in my own house links to "a downtown NY bar at 2:30am" (which the last time I was there, is not a terribly dangerous place anyway), but we can spin this as far as you want it... What should I carry if I'm hiding in a bunker outside Fallujah? Easy answer is that I shouldn't have signed on the line...

I'm not sure how you misconstrued the point of my thread into "don't lock your doors, just keep a gun on your nightstand", but I apologize if you misinterpreted my point.

The point I make is that no matter how well you plan for things, there are no guarantees. My motto, which coinsides with "an ounce of prevention", is prepare for the worst and then hope for the best. My own home is a gated property in a rural area with a driveway "dinger" (doorbell linked to an electric eye across the front gate), with outside motion lights, modern steel security doors and windows (thank you uncle sam for the "green home tax credit"), an up-to-date security system, and both inside and outside dogs... However, it's a common occurance that after a night shift, one our hired hands can come in and have coffee in the morning, or my fiancee can come home from work over lunch, both without waking me up.

An ounce of prevention might be worth a pound of cure, but the hospital still has cures waiting on the shelf. Sure, I can guarantee that I don't get into a wreck if I never take the car out of the garage, but that's not how the world works. I can improve my odds of survivial by buckling my seatbelt and driving safely, as well as owning a vehicle with high safety ratings... But frankly, some times, sh*t happens, as they say... So when I made it to the hospital after being hit by a drunk driver at NOON on a Tuesday, I was pretty glad they had a CURE for internal bleeding and a crushed pelvis. All the precautions in the world still don't prevent EVERYTHING, so at that point, having a little "cure" laying around sure doesn't hurt...

As for me, I'll prepare for the worst and hope for the best, but your mileage may vary... If someone makes it past my security systems and precautions, I then I have a PRECAUTION sitting on my nightstand to CURE the situation.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 1911 is well known for being one of the most accurate pistols ever made. That is not an opinion, it is a fact.
You got that right...
Old 04-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 1911 comes off my belt and onto my night stand every night. I have a sawed of Mossberg 500 over the bed on a shelf that is close to the ceiling. All I'm trying to say is.....the shotgun is a superior weapon for Home protection and that's what I'll grab every single time I need a weapon.

The very old saying "my hangun is just to fight my way back to my shotgun" was not a fluke. It came about because people realize it is a superior form of protection. Jeeesh..........
Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I too have both. A Steyr M40 and a 1911. I find no noticible dfference in recoil with either. The Steyr holds 12 rounds, the 1911, 8. But if I were to need more than 8 rounds, I'm in serious trouble anyway.
But from experience in shooting those bowling pins shoots and see the pins (especially toward the end of the match) wobble a little from the 40 or the 357 SIG but see the same ones fly off the table with a .45 ACP is proof enough that the old 45 has a substantially more "OOMPH" factor at impact. That frontal mass is what gives the 45 is lethality. You don't get much penetration, but then again, you don't need it. I'd rather have 4 - 6" of penetration and the would-be attacker on his a$$ than a complete pass thru and still coming.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, it's you claiming it a fact when it's still really just an opinion. A more dramatically presented and no doubt widely-held opinion, but still an opinion nonetheless.

Yes, no doubt it's an opinion that I'd be inclined to agree with as it applies to myself. However, having spent my first few years in the Army around guys who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from indoors with a 1911, yet who became very proficient almost overnight with the M9 when we traded, an opinion I wouldn't be quite so bold to apply to everyone else in a universal sense. There is much more to accuracy than design and mechanics.

As well, having owned a match-tuned M1911, it's fair to say that given any number modifications and upgrades, the 1911 is capable of extreme accuracy. However, that the modifications are necessary in the first place ought to be a clue to you in that in its pure, mil-spec mode, it's not exactly "ideal."

Just because you think something should be a fact does not make it so. Cut-and-paste the following statement into Google and see what you find:

"The 1911 is well known for being one of the most accurate pistols ever made"
Old 04-12-2011, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
No, it's you claiming it a fact when it's still really just an opinion. A more dramatically presented and no doubt widely-held opinion, but still an opinion nonetheless.

Yes, no doubt it's an opinion that I'd be inclined to agree with as it applies to myself. However, having spent my first few years in the Army around guys who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from indoors with a 1911, yet who became very proficient almost overnight with the M9 when we traded, an opinion I wouldn't be quite so bold to apply to everyone else in a universal sense. There is much more to accuracy than design and mechanics.

As well, having owned a match-tuned M1911, it's fair to say that given any number modifications and upgrades, the 1911 is capable of extreme accuracy. However, that the modifications are necessary in the first place ought to be a clue to you in that in its pure, mil-spec mode, it's not exactly "ideal."

Just because you think something should be a fact does not make it so. Cut-and-paste the following statement into Google and see what you find:

"The 1911 is well known for being one of the most accurate pistols ever made"
That is why I said a "Quality" 1911, not the cheapest based line goverment issued 1911 made with fixed sights, go buy a stock S&W 1911 or similar quality 1911, I will put it up against any stock Glock, Beretta, or Ruger 9mm or 40 S&W or what ever semi auto in those cartidges. And that isnt a opinion, thats a fact!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fritz1
A 45 acp in a quality 1911 will out shoot ANY 40 S&W that I have ever seen. That is why they give you 13 or so rounds in a 9mm or a 40 S&W, you will need them to hit something. Every 40 S&W that I have been arround shoots patterns not groups. I have a Smith & Wesson 1911 Tactical Rail that will shoot one ragged hole, at 25 yards, my buddies Glock 40S&W shoots 3-4" groups at 15 yards. POS in my opinion!
Total BS. So, you think a 40S&W is inherently less accurate than a 45ACP.

I have a 460S&W, that pulls off 2-3MOA out to 200 yards. So in your mind, its a superior round? Its the platform its built around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.